Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Slave King - An Illyrian AAR

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

Default The Slave King - An Illyrian AAR

The Slave King - An Illyrian AAR

Narrator: Unknown

The Illyrians pressed around the Athenian captain, waving their weapons and screaming at the top of their lungs as they did.

“The Slave King has his vengeance!” they shouted, “The Slave King has his vengeance!”

A pathway opened for a single man who strode forward, a battered shield in one hand, a heavy mace in the other. He wore no armor but an old bronze helm that sat atop his head.

“The Slave King has his vengeance” The Illyrian screams lowered into a steady chant. “The Slave King has his vengeance. The Slave King has his vengeance…”

“Who are you?” The Athenian was armed and armored in the finest that civilization had to offer. A large, decorated shield, a finely made blade, a winged helmet, and a sturdy bronze cuirass protected him, but similar outfitted men lay dead around his feet. His courage was faltering. “What do you want of me?”

The Slave King attacked, his mace smashing against the lions on the Athenian’s shield and forcing the captain down onto his knees. The Athenian thrust his sword out in desperation, but the other quickly sidestepped the attack and brought his crude weapon down upon the exposed elbow.

“What do you want of me!” the Athenian screamed in desperation as the Slave King knocked the shield out of his hand, “What do you want of me!”

The barbarian stood tall above his civilized counterpart as the sun rose behind him. He was an old man, his hair was gray and his face covered with wrinkles. There was no anger left in him, only exhaustion remained. There was no enjoyment to be had in his actions. A single tear managed to escape his eyes and fell down his face, leaving a clean streak down his dirt covered face.

“What do you want of me…” the captain whispered, “What do you want of me?”

The mace came down and crushed the Athenian’s helmet and skull. The Illyrians roared in approval and the screams rose up into the morning sky. “The Slave King has his vengeance! The Slave King has his vengeance!”

“Peace” the old man whispered as blood fell from his mace, “I wanted peace”
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-14-2009 at 08:32.

(>^_^;)> move it! Member Hotseat_User's Avatar

Default Re: The Slave King - An Illyrian AAR

- ok it's a hammer but w/e. nice start, seems like a really good plot.
    orationes tuas ego laudare soleo, imitari neque possim, si velim, nec velim fortasse, si possim. [M. T. C.]

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Maion
    ~Maion

You got to love those illyrian coastal leavies...
    I'm gonna pay some attention to this ARR

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Mmmmm, Gorey.... Nice. Loving it so far. Just a little curious as to why the strategos was crying(Thats what is sounded like to me). Will be reading

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

Nice will be following this.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

Thanks for all the comments. An update will be coming soon!

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Don't tell me, the Illyrians conquered Greece.

Hallooooo!! is someone there? Member J.R.M's Avatar

INTERESTING.... Im following this
    Just hope Illyrians don´t kill all greeks to quick

Ahora mas que nunca, FUERZA CABROS!! ¡Viva Chile! Thrash till Death!

Hehe... I'm playing as KH...

Hallooooo!! is someone there? Member J.R.M's Avatar

Damn! Well just enjoy KH and pls pls pls... kill those Little Romies.

Ahora mas que nunca, FUERZA CABROS!! ¡Viva Chile! Thrash till Death!

Chapter One: The Power of Unity

Narrator: Doros Aithaidos Attikos

The City States of old were weak in their divisions. They fought amongst each other like starving dogs over bits of land while our enemies crushed us beneath their heel as a stepping zone to global conquest. The wealth of Rhodes, the culture of Athens, and the warriors of Sparta have come together at last, not just for the sake of survival as we did in the face of the Persians so many years ago, but to take the lands of our enemies and make them our own.

Kydonia and the islanders of Krete were the first to be freed of from the cruel yoke of their tyrant.

The tyrant, a bandit named Ainesidemos, sallied forth from the city in an attempt to flee for his life as the inhabitants turned against him, but instead ran straight into the Spartan spearheads.

The warriors of Krete, seeing our arrival and the strength of our cause, turned their arrows against the tyrant and joined us in liberating their homeland. No force could have faced our combined strength. The city was ours and the festivities could be heard across the whole island.

The great city of Korinthos was controlled by a Macedonian dictator named Alexandros Argeades. He was next in line for the gallows.

Our veteran warriors, fresh off the galleys from Krete, scaled the walls and smashed the levies that stood against us. The defenders fled to the city center to make a final stand, but their attention was so captured by the Spartans that advanced to their front made them vulnerable to javelins from the back.

In the end, another cruel dictator was slain at the hands of an Athenian peasant and the home of the Olympiad was returned to their rightful Greek rulers. Athletes from around the world came that year and we provided the greatest of hospitality. Even the hated Macedonians were allowed to compete under the banner of the Games, but in the final round, our own Akrotatos Agiados of Sparta won the contest of wrestling against a Macedonian twice his size.

The Macedonians reeled in shock after Korinthos and was finally baited into action after Chalkis was captured by our allied forces. A large Macedonian army laid siege to Athenai just after I arrived from Sparta after completing my training. Confident in their numbers, they sent their siege machines against us.

Men scaled the walls on ladders and poured out of towers as they swarmed the city like ants on meat, but our soldiers stood without fear. The enemy attacked us for want of glory and riches. We fought for our freedom. No more would we bow our heads to a foreigner. We were free men.

I stood with my father, guarding the gates in case the enemy broke through, but they never did. Our soldiers slaughtered the enemy on the walls, our spears piercing our enemy’s armor as if they wore nothing at all.

The corpses were piled so high that they overflowed onto the grounds below. In the end, the entire Macedonian army was slaughtered. Not a single man remained. It took a week to bury all the corpses.

With the bulk of Macedonia’s forces trampled underfoot, our armies were freed from their garrisons. Soon, I will command legions of righteous Greeks and advance the glory of the empire with my own sword arm. I am Doros Aithaidos Attikos, son of Athens, and a general of United Greece.

Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-14-2009 at 08:33.

Chapter Two: Sons, Fish, and Peace

Narrator: Demeas Lechaios

The village of Vigla is a beautiful place. I was born there, so of course I love it. My two elder sisters and my younger brother were born there too and we all think there’s no place better. Sometimes, bards and storytellers would pass by our village to tell stories about far away lands like the towering mountains that surround Armavir, the great Nile that flows by Meroe, the finely decorated nobles of Patala, and the never ending deserts that stretch around the lands of Maryab. I enjoy the stories, but then I look at my home.

I race up the mountains behind Vigla with my best friend Fitim and I always win because my legs are the longest. I swim in the ocean and bring back scorpion fish to feast upon without getting stung. That daughter of the village leader, Alketa, has a golden anklet that jingles against the bronze one with every step she took. And sand? Who needs sand when you have good dark dirt to throw at your sister when her back is turned? To me, Vigla is the most wonderful place in the world.

My grandfather likes to sit in our house even during the nicest of days. He sits in his old wooden chair, hunched over as he stares at the ground. He is a very ugly man and he used to scare me when I was a boy, but I’m ten years old now. I can’t be afraid of an old man like him, no matter how ugly he is. I asked my father about him once. I asked him why grandfather was so sad and angry all the time. My father just smiled and shook his head.

“He’s not sad. Nor is he angry. He is happy. He has good strong sons. We pull many fish from the ocean. And he has peace. Those are the three most important things in life. Remember that, my boy”

It didn’t make too much sense to me at the time, that such simple things were the most important things in life, but now I can see. I lay with my stomach, blood flowing from a cut to my face. My father and uncle lay dying next to me. A crate of fish was smashed open and scattered over the beach. Flames leapt from one building to another, spread by the cool sea breeze. Alketa was being raped for the fifth time. Poor Fitim couldn’t run faster than an arrow. My grandfather was dead too, but he took three soldiers with him.

A battered old bronze helm was on his head and a wooden mace was still gripped tightly in his hand.

“Commander Doros” A voice came from above me and I felt a sharp object poke my stomach. “This brat’s still alive. He looks strong enough to fetch a good price as a slave”

Doros. My mind reached snatched that name out of thin air. Doros.
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-14-2009 at 09:36.

An illyrian slave revolt in Greek lands? WoW

Great stuff BerkeleyBoi

(>^_^;)> move it! Member Hotseat_User's Avatar

ohhh man, this plot is so nice! Eagerlye awaiting the next update!
    orationes tuas ego laudare soleo, imitari neque possim, si velim, nec velim fortasse, si possim. [M. T. C.]

The plot that is shaping up loooks great.... impatiently waiting for more
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

Thanks for the comments! Playing as KH has been ridiculously easy so far, but the Romans are starting to send troops over and the Seleucids are besieging Rhodes, so things might get more exciting soon. Another update should be coming later today. I've got a bunch of ideas in my head so I'm punching out as many chapters I can before I get writers block.

Thanks again for all the comments!

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Unfortunately for the kid, whoever he is (if he had a name, I forgot it already), Doros is a pretty common Greek name, and they didn't really have surnames back then...

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

They didn't have surnames, that's true. What they did use as a "formal" naming system, was their given name (most times reflecting certain aspects of one's character) followed by their father's one and lastly their homeland. For example, my name is Anastasios, my father's name if Georgios and I come from the island of Paros. In Ancient Greece, I would formally introduce myself as: Anastasios Georgiou Parianos, which in English means "Anastasios, son of Georgios who comes from Paros".

Nice update, BTW

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 07-09-2009 at 21:52.
    ~Maion

Thanks for the insight. I'll keep that name thing in mind... maybe the kid (he doesn't have a name yet) will just go and kill every single Doros he finds, leading to hilarious circumstances and situational comedic episodes... though that would detract from the dark theme that I was hoping for...
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-09-2009 at 23:02.

Chapter Three: Taming the Barbarians

Illyria. The people of this land have been fighting each other in petty feuds that rival that of my own ancestors. They raid their own people’s villages for a few scrawny slaves, a crate of fish, or whatever else they can carry with them. When their own lands have become completely ravaged by their own hands, they board their boats and raid the coast of more civilized people. My father has sent me up north to this inhospitable land to put a stop to such things.

“Commander Doros” My swordbearer, a Kretian by the name of Epimenes, called me again. “What shall I do with the boy?”

“Do what you wish, but make it quick” I replied impatiently. Soldiers must be rewarded with the spoils of war, no matter how distasteful their actions might be. “We march out in one hour. Make sure whatever slaves the men take are bounded and ready for transport by then”

We already spent too much time in this village. There was little wealth in this village and the expected pirate booty was nowhere to be found. My men, desperate to take something of value, squabbled over the few choice slaves that were available. Their equipment was costly and many had debts to pay off. If this expedition did not prove to be profitable, they might find their own family in chains and sold off at the market.

The promise of greater wealth at the town of Dalminion gave the men some hope of wealth as well as revenge against the pirates that raided our villages. We quickly marched inland from the coast and put the town under siege. Trees were cut and crude rams were built. After a single season, I gave to order to assault the town.

Our rams made quick work of the gates and my eager soldiers poured in to engage the enemy, but the pirates were veterans of many battles.

The fresh faced hoplites were able push their way forward towards the town center, but the enemy was fighting to the death.

I sent my own bodyguards into the fray and was finally able to turn the tide of battle, but not before many brave Greeks lay dead before me.

To alleviate the grief of my men, I sent ordered them to sack the Illyrian portion of the town while I met with the leader of the Celtic minority in Dalminion. Flames leapt high from the thatched rooftops and screams could be heard throughout our meeting, just as I had hoped for.

“I am called Kamandros Neapolites” the man managed to stutter as he knelt at my feet, “My father was from Pontus and I was born in Galatia. It is an honor to be in your presence, my lord”

“Rise” I beamed at him and put my hand on his shoulder. “You are a friend of Greece, there is no need for you to grovel”

“Friend of Greece?” Kamandros had a puzzled look on his face for a second, but he quickly caught on. “Yes, of course! We Celts of Dalminion are friends of Greece and we thank you for freeing us from the Illyrians”

“You are quite welcome, Kamandros” I motioned to Epimenes and he brought forward five slaves that we captured from the village as well as a sack heavy with silver. “Greece would like to thank you for your loyalty. We would like to present you these…” I gestured at the slaves before presenting a document on the table. “…as well as governorship over this province. In exchange, all we ask is for you to put an end to the piracy”

“An end to the piracy? My lord, piracy has existed in this land since the beginning of time. I don’t know if a single, humble man such as myself can put an end to…” A piercing scream interrupted the Celt mid-sentence.

“Tell them to do their business quietly” I ordered Epimenes before smiling back at the Celt. “You wouldn’t think that killing would be such a noisy business, but I’m sorry, I did not here what you said…?”

Kamandros’ face turned white as he seemed to take notice of my bodyguards that stood behind him. “Oh, it was nothing, my lord. I will do as you wish. I promise you. Piracy will be put to an end”

I beamed at him again and ordered my servant to bring us some wine. “Very good answer, Kamandros, I believe we will be getting along just fine”
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-14-2009 at 08:33.

Great stuff realy...

Chapter Four: The Good Slaves

I stood quietly in the corner of the room, watching the Roman captain argue with Kamandros, the governor of Dalminion and my current master. The argument got particularly heated after a while and the Roman reached for his sword. I took a step forward, a hand on my dagger’s hilt, but Kamandros was already on his feet with his longsword unsheathed.

“Back to where you came, Roman dog” Kamandros growled as two of his other bodyguards also stepped out of the shadows, “There are no pirates in my land except the ones that you brought with you”

The Roman, obviously outmatched in arms, pointed a finger at Kamandros and spat on the ground. “Greek slaves should know their place in this world. You’ll regret this” With that, he stormed out of the room.

“Wine” Kamandros waved his hand at me and slumped back in his chair. “And pull up a seat, Demeas. A cup too, if you so wish”

I quickly brought over a cask and poured my master a cup before taking a seat. It has been four years since I was given to Kamandros. The Celt was very sharp and was well loved by the people for his generosity, but was better known for his girth and his love for good food. He also suffers from fits of depression during which he would stay in his room for weeks on end eating, drinking, and vomiting until he emerges one day to govern as if nothing had happened at all. During those periods, his head clerk would take over the daily busywork and I served as his assistant, thus the reason why I have learned my words and numbers. Kamandros was a good master and I worked hard to be a good slave. There was much fish to be had as a slave and there was much peace with a master like Kamandros. Perhaps in a few years, I can buy my freedom and have sons of my own.

“Demeas” My master waved at his empty cup and I refilled it to the brim. “You’re a good slave, Demeas, just like myself”

“I’m sorry master, I don’t understand” Of course I actually understood what he meant, but it is best for a slave to be polite even when one had a kind master.

“That Roman dog was right about nearly everything he said. There are still pirates coming from my land and it is very likely that they’re raiding Roman merchant ships. And he was right that I too am a slave” He finished his wine and I refilled it again. “You should drink some. It is a good wine”

“Thank you, sir” I fetched a cup and poured a little wine for myself before sitting back down.

“The Greeks will have my head if the Romans start a war against them because of those damned pirates. Not much I can do about it though, pirates have been around since people first floated out to sea on a log. All I can do is hope the Romans are too busy with their own wars to send a legion our way”

“Maybe you can do more”

“What can a slave do? I am a good slave, mind you, I have done what I can to stop the piracy, but I can’t stop it all even if those bastards down in Athens have me a thousand hoplites to burn down every single coastal village in Dalminion”

“Maybe you can make the Greeks want war with the Romans”

Kamandros cocked an eyebrow and put down his wine. “You always were pretty damned smart for a fisherman’s son. Tell me what’s on your mind”

“It is not my place to advice you, my lord” Modesty was also a great virtue for slaves.

“Horseshit. You’re a better advisor to me than a wine steward” I noticed his empty cup and quickly refilled it. “Now that the first priority has been taken care of, advise me”

I nodded and pointed at a blueprint for the ships that the Illyrians have been building to combat piracy. “The Romans will probably send a messenger to Athens about the piracy after today, but our ships are faster. We can send a ship ahead of them and tell the Greeks that the Romans have attacked us”

“That’s very bold, but what happens when the Romans arrive? The Greeks don’t trust me as far as they can throw me and…” He patted his large belly. “I doubt even their Olympians can pick me up, let alone throw me”

“We send the pirates to burn their ships before they reach Athens”

Kamandros stared at me in silence as he considered my plan. “The Romans will definitely lay siege to us…”

“Which means you spoke nothing but the truth. To defend their honor, they must come to our aid and fight the Romans”

“And what’s the point of that? A Roman army has already camped itself a days march from here. By the time a Greek army reaches us, we’ll have a Roman sword stuck between our ribs”

“We just have to survive until then” I finally took a sip from my wine. “And surviving is what slaves do”

“Did you just call me a slave?”

“No sir, I was referring only to myself”

Kamandros smiled and finished his wine in a single gulp. “If we survive this, then we both must be very good slaves. Go fetch the master of arms, it’s time we prepare for war”
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-14-2009 at 09:36.

I'll probably be updating like crazy from now on (even if I don't get any comments). My campaign has ended and I've gotta finish this AAR in 4 days. Another chapter being written as I write this post...
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-11-2009 at 09:54.

Chapter Five: Accidental Hero

My grandfather was an infamous Illyrian pirate. He led a fleet of ten ships that raided up and down the Italian coast. His last voyage led him to Halikarnassos where his entire fleet was burned and almost all his men lost. He washed ashore and was saved by some fishermen who sheltered him even though he was a pirate. He stayed even after he regained his health and put his sailing skills to work to catch fish instead of gold. He took an Ionian wife and sailed back to Illyria after six years away. The pirate gangs tried to bring him back to his trade, but he settled in the village of Vigla and continued his trade as a fisherman.

The pirate captain that told me all this, an old Illyrian named Polyades, left several weeks before and news arrived that the Roman fleet was intercepted and destroyed. A few ships limped back and after a few raids against their camp, the Romans have finally marched against us.

Kamandros drafted every able man, including the Illyrians who were previously forbidden to bear arms, into the defense of the city. Everyone knew that if the Romans broke through the walls, no one would be spared. The outlying villages have already been torched and refugees have flooded in through the gates non-stop for the past week.

Now, the Romans were right outside the walls and the city of Dalminion was under siege. I was given a bronze helm similar to the one my grandfather had, as well as a large shield and a heavy club to wield. Though I was a slave, I was ordered to fight alongside the other Illyrian fishermen, farmers, pirates, and mercenaries.

We knew the Romans were more than willing to starve us out. They knew that we did not have the time to store much food and, with the huge influx of refugees, there was little chance that we could feed everyone for more than a few months. Kamandros ordered a sally, hoping to take the Romans by surprise.

We rushed out of the gates early in the morning, but we found the Romans ready for us. Their men were organized and were waiting for us. We lined up across from them with Kamandros’ Celts in the center and the Greek skirmishers on our flanks.

Under a hail of javelins, we smashed into the enemy’s lines, but failed to make a dent. I saw our captain fall and soon, every man was fighting for themselves with no regard to the battle lines. To my right, I saw a band of Illyrians break and race back for the cities. Soon, the men around me began to fall back, but we did not rout. Kamandros and his Celts held the enemy back to allow us to regroup, but the Roman cavalry go behind us and charged.

The men around me broke and raced for the city, but I couldn’t move my legs as those horses bore down on us. I suddenly found myself alone facing the Romans, each of their spears looked as if they were all pointing straight at me. I felt liquid trickle down my leg, but that was the least of my worries. I ducked behind my shield and braced for the impact while I uttered a prayer to Isis.

I was thrown back several feet, but instead of being trampled under the hooves of the Roman horses, I was lifted back to my feet by one of my comrades. My men rallied and broke the charge. I was pushed forward back to the front and everything was chaotic. Horses were dying all around us, kicking at anything that neared them. I swung wildly at anything wearing red, screaming and cursing the whole time.

Suddenly, it was all over. The surviving horsemen fled as a hail of javelins from Kamandros’ men followed them. “Back to the walls!” My master grabbed me by my collar and shook me out of my stupor. “Back to the walls! Hurry, before they recover!”

I ran as hard as I could the whole way until I collapsed right after entering the gate. A crowd of battered and beaten Illyrians have gathered around me, muttering and whispering to each other.

“He still has his shield” I heard one of them whisper.

“The boy still holds his weapon” Another one said.

“He stood his ground against a charge by himself!” I heard another shout.

“He’s the slave of Kamandros” said a Celt that I vaguely recognized, “A slave killed the Roman general!”

“That’s to be expected” I turned around and saw the pirate captain who told me about my grandfather. “He is the grandson of Luftar, the Scourge of Adriatic!”

Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-14-2009 at 09:37.

I'm loving this so far... I can't wait to see how this plays out
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

Chapter Six: Stepping Stones

My disciplining of the barbarians was treated as my first battlefield success, but did not win me much respect by the alliance’s leadership. My successful defense of the frontier against Makedonian incursions won me the respect of my soldiers and the people of Athens, but my lack of conquest limited my influence.

It wasn’t until I crushed an elite garrison at Demetrias and sent Makedonian slaves to the Free Cities of Greece that at last the old men who founded the alliance were won over. With the death of my father, I was designated heir to the throne and was given command over the combined forces of our lands.

“Romans” Captain Epimenes shook his head as he paced around the tent. “It seems like that Celt you put in power up north was not lying. The Romans have declared war on us. A vanguard force has offloaded two days march from Korinthos”

“Romans” I muttered to myself and stared at a map on my desk. The garrison of Korinthos was manned by only a few militiamen and the Rhodian governors’ bodyguard. I slammed my fist on the table and scowled at no one in particular. “Pella is within our grasp and the Romans send a legion at us. With the mines of Pella under my control, I could easily raise an army large enough to conquer those Epeiros barbarians to the west…”

“The Romans have crushed the Epeiros in Italy and their leader, along with all his elephants, was killed by the Makedonians many years back. They are now allies to the Alliance”

“Allies only until our backs are turned” I scowled again, but my loyal captain should not be the target of my wrath. I softened my expression and nodded at my former swordbearer. “You are right Epimenes, they are no threat to us for now and the wealth of Pella will have to wait another day. The glory of saving Korinthos and the spirit of the Olympiakos must take priority. We march in the morning”

The Roman infantry was more formidable than the barbarian pirates and much more flexible than the Macedonian phalangites we faced. However, they were only led by a captain after their general caught disease and died a few days after landing.

Lacking proper leadership, the Romans were caught on unfavorable grounds when my forces descended on them.

Individually, the Romans were vastly superior to the freemen that I commanded, but we outnumbered them and my tactics were vastly superior to that of any captain.

Our Athenian hoplites held the middle of the line against the Roman spearmen while our lighter Ekdromoi hoplitai circled around and crumbled their flanks.

Our levees, after harsh training and the Makedonian campaigns, held their lines even amid heavy casualties and pinned the Roman heavy infantry long enough for my own bodyguard to circle around and smash them from behind.

The Rodian governor arrived at last with his militia Akontistai and launched several volleys of javelins into the backs of the enemy. The Romans broke at last and retreated back towards their ships. Without proper cavalry, we were unable to give chase, but the victory was clear and decisive.

One season later, a Roman envoy arrived and negotiated a favorable peace. Trade would resume, the northern wildlands and the island of Sicily were off limits to Roman expansion, and their alliance with the Makedonians would be broken. My defense of Korinthos was lauded by the people and the Spartan king himself as most valiant and glorious. Several bands of Spartans were being trained exclusively for the purpose of serving me in the future. The Romans have proved to be another marvelous stepping stone for my rise.

Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-14-2009 at 08:43.

Chapter Seven: Ceasefire

Loose flaps of skin hang from Kamandros’ cheeks and seem to flop about with every step he took, but he wore a large smile on his face for the first time in two seasons. The Roman siege camp was broken up and reports came in that peace had been brokered.

“Admiral Polyades, take a scouting party out and comb the land for any hidden Romans” He pointed at me and another slave who fought in the sally. “Take those two with you and see if you could teach them a few things”

“Admiral?” Polyades scratched his gray beard and peered at the Celt. “Last I heard, I was a pirate who threatened the peace”

“Your ships and the grain that they smuggled into the city saved all of us and though the reason why the Romans attacked us in the first place was probably due to one of your raids, I am willing to forgive you”

“Forgive me?” The old pirate’s voice rose in anger, but turned into laughter when he saw the grin on Kamandros’ face. “You emaciated skin bag, I’ll accept your new title, though don’t expect me to change my ways. I’m too old to stop doing what I do best”

“Oh just get going, old man” Kamandros waved us towards the door. “Oh, and if you see any big wooden horses, burn the bloody thing”
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 07-14-2009 at 09:37.

Just curious, is anyone reading this thing?

Yup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast