Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet IV

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Default Re: Imperial Diet IV

A reminder to the Chancellor that the taxation is too high and we are getting unrest in our cities. I would recommend some financial constraint from the Treasury and reduce the taxation levels in all of our cities to let things stabilize through out the Reich.

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Matthias looks at the latest reports and pales a bit:

I must second what Count Zirn has said. Currently there are five cities where the residents are rioting, dragging the taxmen from their houses and killing them:

Venice (70% happiness)
    Milan (55%)
    Bologna (60%)
    Marseille (45%)

Our own capital, Rome is the worst (20%), looking out the windows of this very building, I can see smoke and flames from parts of this city burning. If this rioting is not addressed soon, very soon, we will be expelled from our capital, and we will lose more cities like we lost Budapest.

Kaiser Jobst, you were quite concerned over the level of unrest in Dijon when you left the city to pursue rebels during the reign of Chancellor von Kassel. Imagine the same concern I feel about Milan, or others for their cities, or all of us for the Eternal City. I beg your Majesty to act on this before it is too late!

I am also concerned that several of our settlements remain under the direction of non-nobles (auto-manage). This may result in poor decisions on recruitment and building, possibly violating build queues, in Edessa, Acre, Adana, Aleppo and Paris. I ask that the Kaiser addresses this as well.

It looks as if the Mongols are circling Mosul. I have no pity for the Turks, but Count Elberhard, with only 10 worn units, is within striking range of at least one full Mongol army. He should be withdrawn to Edessa, where reinforcements from Outremer castles can meet him.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 07-06-2007 at 05:17.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

I will address the problem of the taxation levles a once mein friends.

As for the worry of the mingol armies attacking Count Elberhad, it can be seen to at once. Though we currently have most of our cities in Outremer producing units for other things, I am sure if Elberhad is worried he can take it up with King Salier.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

I have some pressing concerns to bring up. The SHA has decreased in size and training over these past years while the French military has only gotten bigger and more elite. If it weren't for my stragetical skills, there would be no doubt that Paris would have long been lost. I urge for the SHA to get new reinoforcements trained before even I cannot hold back the French
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

I second Duke Scherer's plea.. The need for more powerful defensive armies is also apparent in Franconia, where we must endure wave after wave of cavalry-heavy armies with nothing to fight them with but a few spearmen. We need to ensure that Thorn and Paris have proper garrisons!
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Ansehelm: The problem is that Thorn is always under siege and it's the only Franconian fortress that is capable of reinforcing. Magdeburg is currently busy with my army. We certainly need another castle in Northern Europe which is capable of producing the best units currently possible.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

I also would like to urge the Kaiser to keep the house armies at, or near full strength and with professional soldiers.

Our enemies are constantly grinding us down and we must ensure we defend the homeland at all costs. Only then do our offensive actions become relevant as it makes no sense to send armies to attack while we simultaneously lose provinces at home.

Gentlemen of Franconia,

The situation in Thorn is truly amazing even to myself in Budapest many months south of your position.

At the next Diet session I am certainly going to request that we take Krakow and therefore try ease the constant attacks on your House.

I will volunteer the AHA for that task if you wish it.

Duke Arnold

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant
    At the next Diet session I am certainly going to request that we take Krakow and therefore try ease the constant attacks on your House.

Duke Arnold
    We thank you for your offer of sending the AHA, but I'm sure our own forces are capable of taking Krakow - as it came close to doing a few terms of office back.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised we didn't take it then, and even more so that it's taking us such a long time to do so...

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    We thank you for your offer of sending the AHA, but I'm sure our own forces are capable of taking Krakow - as it came close to doing a few terms of office back.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised we didn't take it then, and even more so that it's taking us such a long time to do so...

Duke von Kastilien,

I will certainly support any edict you make on that front. Once Krakow is taken then I'm certain there will be very few incursions into Austrian territory by the Poles.

At least then I can focus the AHA solely on the Hungarian's.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant
    Duke von Kastilien,

I will certainly support any edict you make on that front. Once Krakow is taken then I'm certain there will be very few incursions into Austrian territory by the Poles.

At least then I can focus the AHA solely on the Hungarian's.
    I am pleased to hear that Arnold, it seems a German Krakow serves both our agenda's best.

I shall draft and propose such an edict during the next session, I hope you will not have changed your mind when the time to support it comes.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    I am pleased to hear that Arnold, it seems a German Krakow serves both our agenda's best.

I shall draft and propose such an edict during the next session, I hope you will not have changed your mind when the time to support it comes.

Arnold is frowning in consternation while speaking

My Dear Duke,

Watching the constant sieging of Thorn and the chaos and destruction up there over the years it is time to end it. It is much like the Milanese threat which has been going on for bloody years. It’s annoying to say the least!!

For short periods of time I can understand the enemy exposing our weaknesses and the fact we are clearly overstretched. Any good opponent would do this. What I can't stand is those situations remaining for periods of time without us collectively resolving them one way or the other.

Thorn has been constantly under attack and threats my entire life; therefore this situation has to be resolved in my opinion.

At this time Arnold begins smiling broadly and his tone lightens considerably at this point

And I can assure you my lord that I rarely change my mind unless I'm presented with an offer I can't refuse. This is something I learnt from my advisor, the previous Merchant of Venice.

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

The Count of Zagreb stands looking weary from many travels from the Outremer...

I will also support a Krakow edict if it defends the homeland. However, I have a more pressing concern regarding the interior of the Reich. I have been recorded already on this floor with my concerns to the Chancellor over the tax revolt that is taking place in the Reich. I have returned to Zagreb to personally assess the situation.
    We must lower the taxes in our cities. These revolts take up resources that should be used on our enemies.
    I again plead with you Chancellor to lower the taxes in our cities.
    I would appreciate if there was calmness and public order in the Reich's cities while I am away honouring my duty in the Outremer.
    Which I must prepare to return too very shortly.

I support Lord Zirn entirely.

The repeated calls for calm and order in the provinces is too frequent to even repeat. It should be an immediate priority.

Ansehelm walks into the Diet in person, it can be clearly seen that he had had a short as possible journey, through some enemy controlled territory

I must say that I'm pleased to hear that other people here are concerned in Thorns safety. Securing Thorn is important to our eastern front, but remember, if we take Krakow it will simply pull all Polish attention on Krakow instead of Thorn, so we will have simply have the same trouble over and over again. And Krakow happens to be more difficult to defend. It's dangerous to station the FHA there as it's simply too far away from main Franconia, and it's also dangerous to leave the AHA there, as that will leave the rest of Austria open for Hungary.

The FHA is in it's current state not able to defend any city, and it will never be able to fully defend Franconia. Therefore taking Krakow with the FHA will be dangerous. The same counts for the AHA, first it will need to secure Budapest again. After that it needs to move out of it's zone of control to attack Krakow.

In Europe we will have six armies, the Imperial Army, currently defending Northern Franconia. The Swabian Household Army, or what's left of it, currently defending the Imperial City of Paris. The Bavarian Household Army, currently waiting for the witch to be taken of Corsica. The Austrian Household Army, which as far as I know is still near Hungarian territory under constant attack. The Franconian Household Army which is in the Franconian City of Thorn, but is no where near it's proper state. Lastly we will have the army for the Teutonic Crusade, but we will have to see what part of that army will actually come back from Moscow.
    Once we've taken Corsica the BHA is more or less finished with it's job. And I doubt we need an entire army to defend Italy, as we only need to spot the Spanish and Sicilians. Maybe we should give the Bavarians a free role of supporting other Houses.
    The FHA will be busy fending of the Poles and Russians, not to speak of the Danes. The SHA is busy defending against the French. And the AHA will be busy with Hungarians. The Imperial Army does what the Kaiser wishes. Our borders are too stretched to defend. Even now we need the Imperial Army to fill the gaps, we can't expand if we don't secure our own land. Believe me I will do all in my power to bring back a proper army from Russia, so that we will have a sixth army to defend the Reich, but now I'm wondering what will be there to defend, if so many cities are rebelling and so many enemies are attacking.

Rising to speak after Ansehelm report Arnold begins pacing the Diet floor

Lord Ansehelm ,

I entirely agree with your general outline. I was not talking about taking Krakow until the next Diet session as we have standing legislation preventing that.

My timing was not clear and therefore I was not clear. By the time of the next Diet session I'm more than sure I will have retaken Budapest and will be in a position to take a closer look at Krakow.

At a strategic level, what I see is Krakow holding a position slightly too far South for the Franconia's to deal with and likewise slightly too far north for the my own Austrian House to easily deal with.

As you state Ansehelm, if Austria or Franconia take Krakow it will pull us too far from our central front to adequately defend it well.

Your thoughts on the BHA and its potential usage are intriguing. With the final island taken by the next Diet session the BHA would be relatively task free.

The Sicilian’s have been allies for longer than I can remember so I do not see them suddenly committing such a suicidal act as attacking us from the southern tip of the Italian peninsula.

Our southern border would potentially not need much protection.

There is much to ponder and certainly the idea of two house armies is gaining a legitimate momentum given our extended borders.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 07-11-2007 at 21:48.

Ansehelm who just sat down rises again

I would agree to two household armies per house, but I would say that these secondary armies should be small and non offensive. Franconia could use one to defend Hamburg, and would Austria take Krakow it could use one to station there. Swabia is quite small and only has one front, so for them there's little use in such an army. And the Bavarian secondary army could defend Bavaria while it's household army helps other houses.
    This is definitely worth an edict in my opinion

Looking over at Ansehelm, Arnold says

Certainly a defensive half stack force of high quality troops such as DFK, Sergeant Spearmen and Crossbowmen with one unit of Horse plus the number two ranked House General would be ideal.

This could also be an intermediate position for the next House Duke for future commanding of the Household Army.

These holding forces could then allow the House Armies greater freedom.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 07-11-2007 at 22:36.

Matthias paces the Diet chamber like a caged animal. He stops to speak:

If I am not to take ship to the Holy Land, then what am I doing still in Bologna's port?

I have been the Crusader Count of Adana for eight years and I have yet to leave Italy, or even receive marching orders in four!

If a passage to Outremer is impossible, even an overland one, then I ask that I be sent some place where I can be useful rather than watch the gulls fly over the Adriatic!

Matthias's outburst turns to grumbling as he continues pacing the chamber.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Diet Speaker: At the request of the Kaiser, I am calling an Emergency Session of the Diet. The Kaiser is currently unable to fulfill the role of Chancellor and has resigned from that post. The purpose of this Session is to sollicit manifestoes from candidates who wish to replace him as Chancellor. Given the urgency of the need to install a new Chancellor, this Emergency Diet session will last only 24 hours.

Although the Kaiser has not been impeached, I propose that we elect his replacement under the same conditions as layed out in articles (b), (c), (d) and (e) of Charter Amendment E2.1. To this I end, I propose:

Charter Amendment E3.1:
    Amend Charter E2.1 to read:
    (a) If an Edict to impeach the Chancellor is passed with a 2/3 majority or he resigns, he is removed from office immediately.
    (b) After impeachment or resignation, a fresh election is held to elect a new Chancellor, although a Kaiser may also exercise his perogative to be Chancellor at that point.
    (c) The Chancellor replacing an impeached or resigned Chancellor serves out the remainder of the impeached or resigned Chancellor's term.
    (d) All edicts passed in the preceding regular Diet that elected the impeached Chancellor remain valid, unless overturned by new Edicts at an Emergency Session the Emergency Session that impeached him.
    (e) An impeached or resigned chancellor is not granted the additional bonus to influence that an ex-chancellor would normally be given.

The amendments are marked in bold or by strike outs. Do I have two seconders for this Amendment?

Edicts and other Charter Amendments can also be proposed, but the function of this Emergency Session is primarily to find a replacement Chancellor. The deadline for the submission of manifestoes for the Chancellor's replacement, and for seconding any Edicts or Amendments is Monday 2pm (UK time). There will then be a 24 hour period of voting.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

[Elberhard]:

Well, this is a right ... @#$%^&!!!ing pickle, isn't it?

Electors, the 10th Diet did not @#$%^&!!! mess about. It set out clear directions for our Reich. All we need now is a man to implement what we agreed. To this end, I put myself forward as a care-taker Chancellor. I propose the following eight point program:

1. I will work with the House of Franconia to launch the crusade on Moscow we agreed and secure Thorn.

2. I will work with the House of Bavaria to capture the Milanese islands.

3. I will work with the House of Swabia to rebuild their Household Army and protect our western borders.

4. I will work with the House of Austria to retake Budapest and secure our south eastern frontier.

5. I will work with the King of Outremer to take Iconium and defend our crusader settlements against the Horse Lords.

6. I will repair buildings damaged through rioting and make sure all city settlements are providing the militia they are obliged to provide freely to the Reich.

7. I will rebuild our naval forces, driving off the outrage of a Russian fleet marauding near Venice.

8. I will act promptly and report on my progress every two years.
    Last edited by econ21; 07-15-2007 at 16:06.

Matthias looks up in shock from some fanciful scribblings about Byzantium.

Ah. . .well, this is a decade of firsts isn't it?

While this is an unfortunate outcome, I applaud the Kaiser's insight in realizing he was unable to fulfill the dual roles of Monarch and Chancellor.

I will second E3.1. I hope this is the last time such legislation will have to be used.

As for candidates, 24 hours doesn't give anyone much time to assemble a manifesto does it? I'd almost think that the Speaker and Count Elberhard were in cahoots. ()

OOC: Is the latest save posted, ie which year is it?

Ansehelm:
    I also second E3.1

Also I wish to ask my fellow electors to not propose many new edicts, we don't need any, there's hardly anything to change, we got nowhere further.

And if no-one "challenges" Elberhard to care-taker Chancellorship I will be the other candidate.

Brother, do you have an outline of your Chancellorship?

Having spent some time with Kaiser Jobst recently I can understand his decison to lay down his office. The rulings of the Imperial Army take up much of his time. I guess I don't need to tell anybody here how pressured our fronts are at the moment.

I support the amendments proposed by Elberhard and will also support his claim for office, unless someone else steps forward.

He casts a pointed look to Ansehelm.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Only if no-one challenges Elberhard, then I will give you some outline of what I will planning to do.

Alright brother, I understand now.

(OOC: Econ was so fast in his Henry one, I'd vote for him if you didnt come up)
    Last edited by gibsonsg91921; 07-15-2007 at 15:18.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I wonder whether Fredericus of Hamburg still wishes to consider standing for the position of chancellor as he is the most aged member of this diet body.

In lieu of that, I will not be standing for election during this emergency session unless there is large demand for my managerial ability to quickly salvage and rebuild the empire to its former glory.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Conrad Salier:

I request that, in the name of getting things done quicker, we allow Count Elberhard ascend to the office of Chancellor without opposition. If his ancestry is any indiciation, he will prove to be an able Chancellor. From his short time as Count of Edessa I have already seen his administration skills to be quite adequate.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Striding in the Diet chamber Arnold has a scowl on his face

Gods teeth gentlemen it like a bloody revolving door here!!

Still Elberhard seems to like good food, wine, women and swearing so that makes him a good candidate to me.

I second E3.1!!

Likewise I suggest we do not make any further attempt at legislation. We have more than enough mandates to work with over the next 10 years. The issue is simply needing someone to finish the term.

I will think on whether to run over the next few hours.

With that, Arnold turns, gathers his advisors and heads towards the Austrian Chambers.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 07-15-2007 at 18:14.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast