Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet V

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

Default Re: Imperial Diet V

*Fritz von Kastilien enters the chamber in fully black clothing. This serves to heighten the effect of the many scars on his face. He waits patiently and then stands at the Franconian bench*

Noble electors, my time of trial is at an end. I wish to apologise to the Prinz for causing a disturbance in this assembly, and hope to gain the forgiveness of this body.

*Fritz inclines his head momentarily, then slaps his gloves down on the table*

And now, to business.

First, I applaud the Emperor for the aggressive stance he is taking. The edicts he has proposed will demonstrate to the world that no one, from the east to the western ocean, can stand against us.

However... *Fritz pauses*

This assembly has been made a mockery by Theodora. When I was banned, I assumed it was only Siegfried who had fallen into the trap of the Byzantines. At the time, there were those who spoke out in my defence.

Perhaps there are still those who harbour worries about the purple beast on our Eastern border, but simply do not express them? Is a single ban tying the tongue of the Diet?

*Fritz begins pacing fast, waving his arms about*

Or are we all a group of cowards who will bend our will to the Byzantines, no matter the cost? We are driven like dumb asses, my friends! Dumb asses with eyes on the ground, walking around and around the same millpole.

*Fritz stops and points his finger at each elector*

And that millpole is Byzantium.

I urge all heroes of the Reich to give voice, and let us send the Byzantine gifts in Edict 13.3 and 13.4 back where they belong! In Byzantium!
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Count Fritz,

I'm afraid that I must disagree with your characterization of Empress Theodora. I admit that some of the power relations in the Diet are complicated and convoluted. But some are really really simple. And this is one of them. The Kaiser wills that she be present. So... she is present. I had hoped you would have used your exile from this body to reflect on what you had said.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Friedrich listens to the various speeches made by the members of the Diet, paying particular attention to the Kaiser's and Fritz's declarations. He smiled when the Kaiser said "courteously", but his grin faltered when he hears of the Edicts proposed. When he'd resolved to speak his mind, Fritz's messenger had come, and Friedrich waited until the formerly banned man was back. Now that he is, Friedrich speaks up.

Mein Kaiser, I also applaud your aggressive stance. The turn of the century should always mark an ... interesting period, and the one to come will be for us.

However, I also have some, uhm, how to say, "qualms", perhaps, uh... "misgivings", yes that's it, misgivings about the worth of the act demanded by Edict 13.4, and by extension 13.3. As I understand the edicts, we are to capture the towns and give them to our "Comrades".

What I wonder is, are the towns heavily garrisoned? I'm sorry I must ask this, I haven't had time enough to view the records. Because, and do not mistake my comment as an insult to the commanders who would assault the settlements in question, we may lose many Ger, uh, Roman lives. And is another gift worth that much? If we were to practice such a method of proving ourselves to the Byz, uh, sorry, Eastern Roman Empire, we may soon run out of men.

And then would our alliance run out?

Do not entirely see this as a refusal to keep with our "fellow Romans", but would monetary offers not be better?

Friedrich sits down, and hopes that the Kaiser won't contemplate entertaining the thought of banning him.
    Last edited by Warmaster Horus; 09-20-2007 at 17:38.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Ansehelm stands, after looking amused for the first part of the Diet session

I second all of my little brothers Edicts, that's 1 to 4
    I also declare that if Arnold wants it he can lead the attack on Krakow, as an act of revenge. After that the Teutonic Army, or what's left of it will be used to rearm the Austrian Household Army so it can continue it's job.
    I do however ask to keep my person three regiments of Teutonic Knights.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

If you think the Kaiser is incapabale of making a mistake, Jan, I suggest you travel to Cagliari and inform the Sicilians there that they are now Bavarian subjects.

Duke Lothar,

I too am confused over the Kaiser's granting of a territory that we are not even in control of. Hopefully, the Kaiser will clarify this matter in a letter sooner rather than later.

OOC: I suspect that the issue of Cagliari was more of an OOC mistake made by Ituralde.

Duke of Nicosia

*Fritz glares at Jan, then smiles broadly at the other electors*

King Jan dares to speak. Newly reappointed King Jan, I might add. Newly reappointed at the hands of that... *Fritz gestures momentarily at the door Siegfried has recently exited* ...man whose Edicts show him to be fully bought.

*Fritz continues hastily*

Oh, I know, Treason! Ban him! Burn him at the stake! Yes, I can hear these words already coming at me.

I will state again: have I said anything, anything, to threaten the person of Theodora or the Emperor? Have I led an armed uprising? Have I murdered someone close to the Emperor or Empress?

No, let me tell you what I have done. What I have done is... *Fritz pauses for a long moment and looks about* ...speak my @#$%! mind!

*Fritz goes red*

God forgive me for my language. But if opinion is no longer welcome in this Diet, King Jan, then I will ban myself, here and now so that I am not a party to such a farce.
    Last edited by Tamur; 09-20-2007 at 18:22.

Ansehelm looks amused and looks in Jans direction, looks him into the eyes and nods

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    OOC: take it away, Jan

Jan remains calm during Fritz's outburst.

Count Fritz,

Your opinion is indeed valued in this body. I apologize to you if my previous words gave a different perception. I was simply replying to your opinion with my own. I hope you do not ban yourself from this body but I will respect your wishes if you do so.

Jan nods to Fritz

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Sorry stig if you were expecting Jan to explode on Fritz. My reply was much more boring than most you were probably expecting.
    Last edited by Privateerkev; 09-20-2007 at 18:18.

Duke of Nicosia

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dietrich von Dassel:

*The Swabian knight rises, a slight nervous look on his face for a brief instant. It is quickly replaced by a solemn expression, accompanied with nods directed at several Electors present.*

Mein Kaiser, Chancellor Matthias, fellow Electors.

The past two terms have finally, finally seen the Reich completely re-emerge from its post-Ulrich Hümmel funk. The man responsible for this renaissance is Chancellor Matthias Steffen, and he should be congratulated for his superior administrative skills. We are truly better off because of him.

I have heard rumors and general rumblings that Kaiser Siegfried himself is to assume the position of Chancellor this upcoming term and guide the Reich himself. I wish him luck in that endeavor for surely it cannot be as easy as Chancellor Matthias makes it look.

However, I have also heard general rumblings of discontent about the Kaiser’s style of handling things. People have said that he spent too much time vacationing in Constantinople when the twin crises of the deaths of Conrad Salier and Sigismund von Mahren loomed over the Reich. People have said that he is too friendly with the Byzantines, with their Emperor exercising a little too much over him by way of the Empress Theodora. *He nods curtly to the Empress.* People have said that he appoints people to powerful positions solely because of loyalty rather than merit, thus endangering all who seek the holder of that position for protection.

In short, I have seen and heard enough general discontent over Kaiser Siegfried’s style to wonder if he should become our leader for the next twenty years without input or suggestions from anybody.

Therefore, I hereby challenge the Kaiser to waive his right to an automatic Chancellorship in the name of doing what is best for the Reich.

You, Kaiser Siegfried, are duty-bound as Holy Roman Emperor to seek and execute options that are of the greatest benefit to the Empire as a whole. I inform you now: There is discontent over your past choices; who better to determine what is best for the Reich than its people? Allow a proper election between you and anyone who wants to run and give the people, the representatives of all four Houses and the Outremer, a chance to make their voices heard.

I offer myself to the people as a candidate, because my policies and beliefs differ from Kaiser Siegfried’s and I believe that mine are correct.

First and foremost, I believe that we should be putting the Reich first. The Kaiser has become friendly with the Byzantines – some say too friendly. We have an alliance with them, which is rare nowadays, and I do not seek to break it. That said, recent cooperation with them and seeing the advancement of their goals has come at a price where other areas of need have been overlooked. If I am elected Chancellor we will take care of our own needs first and if there is any manpower or material left over, we shall send them to our allies.

Secondly, we need to take a firmer policy with our enemies. Bavaria’s recent conclusion of hostilities with Sicily was rare in that it was a short, cheap (in terms of lives lost) conflict. This is not the case in many other areas. On our western front lies, just as it has always lied, the menace of the slimy French. They have been Swabia’s mortal enemies since poor Sigismund der Stolze was assassinated by them in 1142. Electors, that was over 150 years ago. We fight them still. On our eastern front lies an even older and deadlier enemy in Poland, who have plagued Franconia and Austria since before all of us were born.

Electors, for too long have we been content with fighting defensively, or fighting a battle here and there and investing our resources elsewhere. I don’t want to let them off easy anymore. I want to kill them. I want to kill them with an axe. If elected I will organize two all-out efforts aimed at forever breaking the power of our oldest enemies. In the west, Duke Scherer and I will refit, and together with my Portuguese friend, Prince Hanrrique, we will strike and capture Angers. To provide greater effect, if Duke Steffen is willing, we can sic the Gerhard Steffen Memorial Army on Toulouse, which is currently lightly defended, further crippling the French and leaving them only one territory on the Iberian Peninsula. In the east I shall provide the von Kastiliens and Duke Arnold with everything they need to take down Krakow and the many Poles lurking around there, waiting to do us further harm. If we are successful enough then we can press on to Hungary.

Our enemies may be hurt, but they still have teeth. If they ever concentrate and organize they can marshal their forces together in an invasion, which would seriously threaten our oldest territories. If we go on the offense we can force them to fight defensively and keep them focused on not losing their own lands.

To those of you who doubt my experience, know this: I have fought several battles already, and considering the fact that I am still alive and addressing you now they did not go all bad. In terms of diplomacy I have already forged a bond with the Portuguese heir to the throne, Prince Hanrrique, and together along with my former Duke we have driven the French out of Caen.

Kaiser, I once again plead to you: Let the Electors decide. If you waive your right and defeat me in a fair election then fine. May your reign be the most prosperous the Reich has ever seen. I won’t say “boo.” But do not shut the people out of this important process at this important time in our history.

Thank you.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 09-20-2007 at 20:26.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

*As Dietrich speaks of Krakow, Fritz pounds on the table before him. As the speech draws to a close, Fritz rises briefly*

It hardly needs saying that I would support a free and fair election, with impartial jurors to do the counting.

And the lack of talk about Krakow in this session was beginning to make me ill! We should hold elections if only to give such a man with such ideas a chance to make the Poles pay for their flippant aggressions!

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Elberhard: Dietrich, settle down, lad. You'll get your chance to stand for election, but not now. When he opened this Diet session, the Kaiser said he will be exercising his perogative to rule as Chancellor this term. Let us debate the issues and not waste time with attempting to launch boats that won't @#$%^&!!!ing float.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dietrich von Dassel:

No Elberhard, I will not settle down. It is exactly this mindless obedience to the Kaiser's questionable policies that got us here in the first place. I mean for that to change.

So far what I have seen has made me believe that Kaiser Siegfried does not deserve to run the Reich for a full term without opposition. I want him to state his case and convince the Electors that he is the best man for the job.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 09-20-2007 at 21:27.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

I second edicts 13.1 and 13.2, and stand by my brother Fritz's and Dietrich's statements. Why the @#$% should we bow to a foreign master?!
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Athalwolf nods during whiles Fritz and Dietrich speaks, agreeing with their words. At the end he stands up.

I agree with you, Fritz. I believe this Diet has turned into a Byzantine One. Though I think warfare and conflict is NOT needed. We have plenty.

Mein Kaiser Siegfred, could I ask you excuse the Empress from these Chambers? She may be your wife but we know her not, and we have fought her brothers and fathers before.

This is a German Chamber, and sooner or later she'll probably bring her servants as well. More BYzantines...

I also agree with Knight von Dassel. Actually appluad you.

Blog Entries

Dietrich von Dassel:

As you can see Mein Prinz, at least three people agree with what I am saying enough to say so in the Diet. Clearly, this is not just rocking the boat.

Gentlemen, the Kaiser's conduct is something to debate this Diet Session. I want to debate whether we truly want him steering us and if his leadership so far has put us in the right direction.

I repeat: I challenge the Kaiser to waive his right to an automatic Chancellorship so that a proper course of action may be taken.

Elberhard looks at Dietrich and looks at the empty throne. Empress Theodora's seat is also empty.

Elberhard: Dietrich, mate, you will get no satisfaction at this Diet. The Kaiser has departed to prepare for his diplomatic mission to Constantinople. He has spoken his final words of this Diet session.

Athalwolf, the Empress left the Diet with her husband but will remain in Rome during his mission. As the Kaiser said, both she and I will reign as Stewards in his absence. If she chooses to return to this place, it would be most impolite to ask her to leave. ... And when the @#$%^&!!! did we fight her brothers and fathers?

Peter - you are talking out of your @#$%^&!!! again. What the Kaiser has proposed is not bowing to a foreign master. It is reunification of the Roman Empire. Given the relative strengths of the two halves of the Roman Empire, there should be little doubt who will be the master. The Kaiser's diplomatic mission to Constantinople is to get the Byzantines to accept that reality.

@#$% you, Elberhard! I care not for some Greek dog! My brother brought their @#$%^ home to play, but I am German and care only about Germans. We are the one Holy Roman Empire, and those who do not call us superiors should burn and die!

Blog Entries

Dietrich von Dassel

Ah yes, the Kaiser has... left. How convenient.

Gentlemen, in case you are keeping track, this is now the second Diet session in a row where the Kaiser has failed to grace us with his presence. And this is the man we expect to run the Reich for the next twenty years! Twenty years! He can't even take the time out of his busy schedule to, you know, oversee the Diet proceedings.

It seems like more drastic procedures are needed to truly determine whether the Kaiser is worthy of taking the lead. Therefore, I propose the following:

Charter Amendment 13.3: At the close of the Thirteenth Diet Session, if this Amendment is passed then a vote will immediately take place to determine whether Kaiser Siegfried should automatically assume the position of Chancellor. A two-thirds majority is required to deny him this privilege, and if so then a normal election for Chancellor will follow with all candidates who declare themselves during the Thirteenth Diet Session.

It is time to take the Reich back. Naturally, I declare myself as a candidate.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 09-20-2007 at 23:15.

I second Dietrich's charter amendment 13.2.

Blog Entries

Dietrich von Dassel:

My apologies, some Outremer delegates have informed me that my proposed Amendment was 13.3, not 13.2.

Elberhard: Peter, you can call me what the @#$%^&!!! you like. But not the Empress. Retract your insult of her or be expelled.

Lord, I am a fresh general and I would like to get into some bloodshed as quick as possible, please lord, I shall avenge Wheilm. When I was small he was like a brother to me, showing me how to fight, and many more tasks. Send me against those foolish polish, and let me crush their every bone.
    Last edited by RoadKill; 09-20-2007 at 23:43.
    "I thought CA was unarmed? Unless he got some samurai swords or something... I only got some rocks and some sticks." Shlin in BR realizing he has no weapons what so ever.

Elberhard: Welcome, Lorenz Zirn. I am sure that Duke Arnold will find some action for you - if the Kaiser has his way, Austria will be tasked with taking two settlements to the east.

On a less pleasant matter, I notice that Peter Kastilien has left the Diet. The guards will be instructed that he is not to be re-admitted unless he comes to apologise to the Empress.

A messenger walks in from the Franconian chambers. It is Lars, Péter's shieldbearer.

Amend Péter's second to Charter Amendment 13.3 then. Let's ensure von Dassel's amendment receives due credit. That is all.

A loud laugh and obscenity is heard from the Franconian chambers.
    "I'm going to the Tavern!"

Ansehelm looks around, still amused

Where's the reason? Where are Gerhard and Conrad or Gunther and Jonas? It seems like all normality has left us, I think people should think again before saying something if they really want a job or not. Some can't even be reasonable with their own family anymore.
    I know people who would turn in their graves if they would hear all this.

If you really want to rebel against my little brother, by all means, do so, but know this, I'll personally come to get you, and I'll win. Not because of some Byzantine power, not because of some damned Orthodox heathens, no because Siegfried still is my little brother, no matter what happens.
    I personally disagree with most of his decission, but what use has it to me to scream that out loud. I proof what I am word, and talk to him in private. That is what gets me respect, not some hot-headedness like you children are displaying.

And lastly, Dietrich, go and play somewhere else. This is where we vote on the future of the Reich. We don't play childish games here. I have better things to do than to listen to you. Fortunately for you your all I can listen to, since the voices of reason have left us.

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Matthias watches the proceedings in the Diet in alarm. He shakes his head at several points. He grows grim when another Elector is expelled. Finally he speaks.

This is a sad day. We have struggled over the past 40 years to return the Reich to prominence and dominion, but now dissent is stifled in the Diet?

Prinz Elberhard, you have my respect, but you are wielding a heavy hand. If the Kaiser wishes to assume the Chancellorship, to silence any criticism levelled at him or his wife, he should be here to do so.

The fact that he assigned Cagliari to Bavaria is a telling indicator of how out of touch he is with his own realm. He wishes to assume the Chancellorship, but he is not here to answer our questions or relieve our doubts.

The office of Chancellor is not a bauble for a child, a gift to be taken, it is a heavy responsibility. Kaiser Jobst came to understand this, and had the wisdom to pass the position on to Fredericus von Hamburg. It requires a clear mind and focused intent, and can we believe the Kaiser has this at the moment?

If the Kaiser does not realize the gravity of the situation, or the responsibility of the Chancellorship, he must be made to realize it.

It gives me no joy to do it, but I second Charter Amendment 13.3.

I will not see what I have built up over 40 years cast away without a fight.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Blog Entries

Dietrich von Dassel:

Duke Ansehelm, I suggest that you grow a pair and face the facts. Your two brothers most certainly have; they have been banned by your little brother. Do you suggest that they too need to stop playing?

I am by no means rebelling. I am exercising my legal right to change the Charter to prevent what I believe to be a misguided Chancellorship from happening. And I shall do my damndest to make sure that it happens.

Good day, Ansehelm, and I suggest that you remove that blind spot if you know what's good for you.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

It is clear to see the Duke is growing steadily more annoyed at each passing moment.

Finally he stands looking at the Prinz:

The banning of Reich Nobles to suppress comments about Byzantium is ridiculous and simply a crutch for people with little or no ability to lead or govern!!!

Hi voice booms across the Chamber

Moreover assigning the Empress as co-Steward of THIS REICH is preposterous, and beyond my ^%$#^ing comprehension!!! It's simply un%$#ingbelievable, as well as totally and utterly without thought!!!!

As much as the younger nobles have harassed the Prinz, Matthias's words are very sobering...

Smashing his mailed fist on the Austrian bench, Arnold glares at the empty throne of the Kaiser and his Empress..

CA 13.3 is now under consideration gentlemen!!!

...I'm being order to attack Sofia and GIVE it back to Byzantium AGAIN...and I was the one that tabled the first piece of legislation to do just that...what %$#@@ing planet are we on??

As for asking Bavaria to shed blood for nothing...the last time I checked the %^$ing lunatic asylum in Bran was empty…

Pausing a moment, the Duke clearly is thinking over something, he continues in a more even tone

I find those men exceptionally good fighters especially when I stand behind them putting the fear of GOD into their poor little souls.

Pausing again the Duke snaps out of whatever thought he was reminiscing about. His next words crack over the Diet like thunder.

It's certainly place I could recommend people visit so as to contemplate orders like that!!

And Duke Ansehelm, blind obedience is a sure fire way to get yourself killed...you've all but said you disagree with everything YOUR little brother has proposed yet you stand here like some enforcer daring anyone to disagree.

Well look around!!! There's plenty of disagreement.

...and did I hear you correctly? You're recommending we both attack Krakow, then once taken you'll hand over the Teutonic Crusading force to me minus a few regiments??
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 09-21-2007 at 04:26.

*Fritz rises with with tears shining in his eyes*

It does my heart good to see such noble men stand up and speak their minds. The Reich once again has teeth!

Well done, my friends, well done. The heroes of the past smile on our German souls this day.

Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast