Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Orders and reports thread

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Default Re: Chancellor and governor reports

My Father, Duke Gerhard Steffen, is dead. This is terrible news.

An august General, he turned the Po River valley into a charnel pit for the Venetians and Hungarians. His seizure of Marseille and Naples were marked by suddenness and disdain for the siege. His reign as Duke saw an era of unrivalled peace and prosperity for Bavaria, as the Duchy was spared much of the strife visited on the rest of the Reich. I will miss him.

In some small recompense, several of the Reich's nobles were blessed with daughters.

Breslau has been besieged by the Poles. They are also within a year's march to Budapest.

The College of Cardinals is at capacity once again as an Imperial priest was promoted to Pope Abbate's vacant slot.

Count Dietrich von Dassel and the second SHA are now in position to support the defense of Caen and will be able to strike at the besiegers next year.

I have moved to northwest of Adana and established another fort in the pass to Turkish Caesarea.

Our diplomat has landed in Africa, and will reach Tunis in a year.

1292 continued

Count Bresch has defeated an Egyptian army southeast of Damascus. The survivors fled north. Prinz Elberhard defeated the Egyptian Crown Prince Mustamsik and his army on the Gaza-Jerusalem border. This is the beginning of a new aggressive approach against the Saracen. Armies near Jerusalem and our borders will be attacked before they can enter our territory.

Count Peter von Kastilien has taken Vilnius. Edict 12.2 is fulfilled. Count Fritz von Kastilien has broken the siege of Breslau and rejoined his infantry halfway between Thorn and Hamburg.

Count Edmund Becker has suffered a crushing defeat to the Poles north of Budapest. The second Austrian Household Army has been destroyed and Wilhelm von Heidelburg was captured and slain by the Polish. Becker and the remnants of his army have taken shelter in Budapest. In response to this terrible news, Duke Arnold is marching west from Bran with the remaining Household Army.

Our diplomat in Durazzo has arranged to donate 500 florins a year for the next five years to the Church. Considering the relative youth of the Pope, I consider this a good idea.

Another of our diplomats on the Russian border stumbled on a Sicilian Princess. He tried to make her an offer she couldn't refuse.

It was a generous but it was refused. I hope our Diplomat nearing Tunis will have more luck, but I fear our reputation is too despicable for anyone to make peace with us.

Finally, I have received word that the French have attacked Count Dietrich von Dassel's army as it lay outside besieged Caen. I will report on the battle in the new year.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 01-05-2008 at 22:30.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Sir Dietrich von Dassel is victorious with a crushing defeat of the French who attacked him! The French, shocked by their loss, have abandoned their second seige of Caen. I will begin recruiting new troops there immediately.

Soon after I heard of this Heroic Victory, I received news that two Hungarian armies had attacked Duke Arnold and the remaining AHA.

When taken together, the Hungarians had a well balanced force. However Providence and the terrain smiled upon us, as both served to delay the arrival of the second army. The Duke skillfully used an advantage in height and cavalry to destroy the first army.

Arnold was then able to reform his men to face the second army when it finally arrived. This time he had the superiority in bowmen.

It was a crushing victory.

The Duke was in no mood, as if he ever is, to leave the enemy forces alive.

The Hungarians have also besieged Bran, but with a small army. It should be easy enough to drive off.

The Franconians face an interesting decision as the Teutonic Knights have offered to establish a Chapter House in Vilnius. The question is, do we plan to stay there?

With the Reich flush with Florins, and my building program in full swing, I decided to try one last time to make peace with the Sicilians.

It cost a pretty penny, but we have peace with the Sicilians. I know they could turn around and attack us again, but I felt we must give peace one more oppurtunity. The Sicilians may have forgotten their alliance with us, but they stuck with us through Excommunication, we owed them a chance. However, further treachery will not be tolerated.

Having reached a ceasefire with Sicily, I contacted their allies the Spanish. If we remain at war with them, it could possibly endanger our new found peace.

Again, our reputation has made negotiations difficult, but we must try. Sicily and Spain were our two enemies with whom we do not share a border. I hope this will serve to establish a lasting peace and mutually beneficial trade. We shall see. In both cases, I aimed for upfront payments, so as not to burden the next Chancellor.

1294 continued

Duke Arnold has crushed a small Hungarian army in his path.

Unfortunately for the Hungarians, the Duke's bad mood continues, there were no survivors. The garrison of Bran has also thrown off the Magyar siege. This means that Austria is free of the their troops. Edmund Becker has taken the mounted remnants of his army and is proceeding to the Citadel to recruit a new force.

I welcome Duke Ansehelm and the Teutonic Crusade back to the Reich!

Count Fritz von Kastilien has moved west to respond to the threat on Hamburg, as the Danes have besieged the Elbe fort. Count Peter von Kastilien has moved back towards Thorn with the majority of his army in response to an increased Polish presence in the area. Sir Tancred von Tyrolia now commands at Vilnius with a small garrison until the fate of the Citadel is decided. There are three units of Polish Nobles to the south, but there is no infantry for a proper siege, and the Duke will soon be in the area.

Cou. . .Duke Lothar has departed Palermo with HA Gerhard. He will take ship to Florence. Count Karolinger will remain in Palermo while HA Otto finishes arming.

Duke Scherer will stay in Caen to refit his army and oversee repairs to the Citadel. Sir Dietrich von Dassel will stay nearby and await reinforcement from Staufen. The siege is over, but both Swabian HAs are battered and not ready for offensive action.

Prinz Eleberhard has moved back to Acre to rest and refit his army. Count Bresch has moved closer to Damascus, as I don't want him going too far from our border in pursuit of the Saracen.

Finally, in order to strengthen our northern border with the Turks, and, as I have been convinced, aid our allies, I have attacked a small Turkish army outside Caesarea. The Byzantines have been sitting outside the Castle for ages, but were outnumbered. I have decided to break the stalemate. As I expected, my attack drew both the garrison and the Byzantines into battle.

The day went well for us and our allies. I hope to write a battle report shortly.

The Turkish Sultan fled, and he and a few survivors are holed up in their capital. I hope that our allies, with many men in the area, will summon their courage and besiege the Citadel. I have done all I can for them besides open the gate.

Last edited by OverKnight; 09-14-2007 at 06:54.

England has besieged Bruges and is again at war with the French. Due to the seizure of Caen, the city is isolated and the English might have a chance to take the city if their courage does not falter.

Caen is again besieged, however I have rushed some Merchant Cavalry Militia to Sir von Dassel and a Portuguese army is in the area and is willing to assist a sally.

The Danish siege of the Elbe fort turned out to be a ruse, they have bypassed it and have encircled Hamburg instead. The fort has served its purpose, however, as the Saxony HA now lies ready to assist. The Prussia HA has sent some troops to Thorn to rearm and Count Peter and the rest of the army have taken up their old position at the bridge south of the Citadel.

A Polish army had besieged Budapest, but Duke Arnold fell upon them like a wolf among sheep.

The Polish Nobles did not fare as well against the Duke as they had in their previous battle near Budapest.

Their army was destroyed and the prisoners executed. The few survivors fled to the hills and will not trouble the Reich again.

The Duke has moved north and has added several regiments of spear militia to his army for the tough road ahead. Reinforcements are coming from Ragusa and Innsbruck, but they will have to catch up. Count Becker has arrived in Bran and is supervising the rebuilding of the 2nd AHA.

Despite my assistance, the Byzantines did not strike at Caesarea, though they have moved several armies into the area. My old friend Kasim of Kabul has stopped threatening our border near Adana and is making his way to the Citadel in a panic. I have moved the 2nd AoO to Adana to rearm. Count Zirn has assumed command of the 1st AoO and has taken position east of Damascus. If the Egyptians wish to threaten the city, they will have to pass by him. Prinz Elberhard has moved to the far south of Papal territory on the road between Jedda and Gaza. My goal with these last two moves is to block Saracen military movement and bring them to battle.

Our assassin has removed a thorn from the Pope's side.

One of our priests near Metz, Edmund Deines, began expressing doubts about Transubstantiation and had to be tried for heresy by his colleague, Johannes Plittersdorf. We lost a priest, but his Inquisitor has gained prestige.

I nearly forgot, I am an Uncle again, Duke Lothar has been blessed with another son, Wenzel.

1296 continued

Count Fritz von Kastilien has successfully lifted the siege of Hamburg and crushed the Danes. He will move to Magdeburg to rearm.

Sir Dietrich von Dassel has pummeled the French near Caen with the assistance of Duke Scherer and the Portuguese Prince. Both HAs will rearm in the area as Caen is free to recruit and reinforcements are coming from Staufen.

Count Peter von Kastilien and the Prussian Army have been attacked by two Polish armies on the south bridge of the Vistula. I will report on the battle in the new year.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-16-2007 at 15:06.

Count Peter von Kastilien was victorious over the Poles. He will remain in place and receive reinforcements from Thorn.

Our allies the Byzantines have besieged Caesarea and moved several armies into the area. I am glad my attack against the Turks has finally emboldened our friends. The English continue their siege of Bruges.

It appears the Danes have tried to assassinate Count Fritz von Kastilien again. They failed, but their hatred for him is a testament to the Count's many victories over the scum. He has continued on to Magdeburg to reinforce the Saxon Army.

The Steffen family has grown, Lothar has a third son, Bernhard, and my sister Kordula has married a promising noble, Fredericus Erlach.

He is currently in Rome.

I have also received an interesting message from the Assassins Guild in Stettin.

I normally don't respond to such threats, but we could use another blade.

Several small Turk armies are in our territory east of Edessa. I have relinquished command of the northern AoO to King Jan. He is currently between Antioch and Aleppo and while my term will soon be over, I think it would be a good idea for him drive the Turks off. Count Dieter Bresch has taken of the southern AoO and is east of Damascus.

The first Swabian HA is a year away from near full strength as it continues reinforcing at Caen. The second HA is being dispatched to Staufen to reinforce.

Count Hans has landed in Marseille and is proceeding north. Count Lothar Steffen and HA Gerhard have arrived in Florence.

The Russians have sent an army south towards Vilnius. I have asked Duke Ansehelm and the Teutonic Crusade to face them.

1298 continued

Duke Ansehelm has destroyed the Russians, but Helmut von Hamburg was killed saving the army from an ambush. I mourn the man, but salute his bravery.

Prinz Elberhard has crushed an Egyptian army, with many units of Royal Mamluks, southeast of Jerusalem.

Duke Arnold, doubling back with only a cavalry force, has broken the seige of Budapest with the assistance of the garrison.

The army was routed, and the survivors executed. The first AHA then proceeded north.

I am concerned over the level of heresy in Budapest and Bran, due to recent apostate activity, I have dispatched the priests who were working on Ajaccio to the region. I will also recruit new priests in Vienna and Budapest.

Count Peter von Kastilien has moved to the western part of Krakow. An inquisitor in the area has meet with an accident, a tragedy.

Count Fredericus Erlach has joined Duke Lothar and HA Gerhard in a newly built fort outside Florence.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-20-2007 at 09:58.

Thorn has been besieged by three units of Polish Nobles, this is more of a raid than a real assault.

The English and Byzantines continue their sieges of Bruges and Caesarea. I am glad we have allies, but their deliberate pace frustrates me.

Speaking of the Byzantines, our envoy to their court, Wilkerus von Bavaria, has passed away. He will have to be replaced if we are to continue active diplomacy with them.

An agent from Denmark was expelled from Hamburg, the city might need a counter-spy.

An assassin was recruited in Budapest, fulfilling the Guild's request.

I have bought a new hat with the reward money.

The Scottish Prince, perhaps hearing of our new recruit, has made a request.

I begin to regret our past "sanctions" against the Polish and Danish Kings, as we now seem to be seen as an agent of succesion by the Princes of Europe.

The Pope is pleased by our building efforts in Outremer. Count Karl Zirn has my grattitude for ordering the construction.

The Pope has shown a concrete sign of his approval.

We now control 12 of 13 seats in the College of Cardinals.

Meinburg von Salza has married an ambitious young nobleman in Rome. I hope he has hidden strengths.

A new General in Budapest has been brought into the House of Austria. It seems he is a cousin of another Austrian.

This is my last report as Chancellor. It has been my honor to serve the Reich in the position for the last two terms. This term has seen many positive developments. Our finances continue to grow.

All aspects of the Reich's income have increased. I believe that making peace with Sicily and Spain has added to our trade. Our Merchants are unrivalled, though we can't, at the moment, bring any more into our service.

The creation of the second House Armies, a major accomplishment of my term, has caused our Military spending to increase by twenty percent. I believe the Reich has reached the maximum amount of army costs that we can maintain while still pursuing a construction program and growing our finances. Contrary to when I started as Chancellor, each settlement of the Reich has had near constant building in the past 20 years.

During my term, the Reich has conquered Caen, Vilnius, Naples and Palermo. The Teutonic Crusade reached Moscow and returned safely. The Mongols were crushed underfoot, and I have taken steps to weaken the Turks and Egyptians to further secure Outremer. By aiding our allies the Byzantines near Caesarea, I hope to strengthen our northern border there.

We have faced many battles and relentless enemies. Good men have sacrificed their lives to keep the Reich safe. Despite horrific opposition we have prevailed. From the English Channel to the sands of the East, from the Steppes to the Mediterranean we are dominant. Imperial Hegemony extends throughout the known world. In trade or war, we are feared and respected. I thank you all for making it possible.

My time as Chancellor is done. May good fortune and Providence shine upon my successor, Kaiser Siegfried.

For God, the Kaiser and the Reich,

Count Matthias Steffen

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/kotr1300.zip
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-23-2007 at 13:08.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Appointments:
    Metz: Count Wolfgang Hümmel
    Dijon: Count Athalwolf von Salza
    Paris: Count Friedrich Scherer
    Rheims: Prince Count Elberhard
    Bern and Staufen remain Ducal territory.

Build orders:
    Staufen:
    Finish Master Armourer
    Tourney Field
    Gunsmith
    Stables

Bern:
    Finish Huge Stone Walls
    Mayor's Palace
    Merchant's Quarter

Taxation:
    Tax levels are not to be set above High.

Preliminary Household army orders
    SHA1 to be led with Count Hümmel. With the passage of Edict 13.1, it will take Bruges if the English are defeated and hold it against hostile attacks. If Paris or Caen are threatened, it is to move to their defense. SHA1 is authorized to raid French territory once Bruges is pacified.
    SHA1 will initially be stationed at Caen. Count Scherer is to rotate command of SHA1 with Count Hümmel subject to availability and urgency.

SHA2 to be led by Count von Salza. SHA2 is to defend Dijon and aid SHA1 if odds are infavorable or SHA1 is otherwise unavailable/unable to defend the northern border effectively. SHA2 is authorized to raid French territory and pre-emptively strike at any French or Rebel force.
    SHA2 will initially be stationed at Dijon.

No other person with exception of Duke Hans and the aforementioned men are to command any part of the SHA until further notice.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 09-23-2007 at 14:02.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Milan

Merchant Vaults
    then Chancellor's Discretion

Set taxes to avoid rioting.

Adana

Heavy Armourer
    then Chancellor's Discretion

Member Member 5 Card Draw Champion, Mini Pool 2 Champion, Ice Hockey Champion, Mahjong Connect Champion Northnovas's Avatar

Zagreb

The city is being upgraded but I would like the following:

1. Abbey
    2. City Watch

after that anything economic for the settlement.

Damascus

1. Cannon Towers ( a must to defend the Cathedral)
    2. Communial Farming
    3. Merchant Bank (First Bank of Damascus) interest free loans on OAC

Budapest

I want the following being built in this order
    1) Tavern
    2) Cathedral
    3) Gunsmith
    4) Merchants Valve.

I will also want to keep the taxes at low.
    Last edited by RoadKill; 09-24-2007 at 02:15.
    "I thought CA was unarmed? Unless he got some samurai swords or something... I only got some rocks and some sticks." Shlin in BR realizing he has no weapons what so ever.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Build Queues:

Nuremburg
    Huge Cathedral
    City Watch

Genoa
    Fairground
    Great Market

Florence
    Mayor's Palace
    Great Market

Marseille

Cathedral
    Great Market

Bologna
    (Governed in my name by Matthias Steffen)
    Merchant Bank
    Great Market

Bavarian Household Army Orders:

HA Gerhard Steffen (currently outside Florence) will be commanded by myself and will remain at its post outside Florence. It will be used to suppress rebels and defend Bavarian territories from outside attack.

HA Otto von Kassel (currently near Palermo) will by commanded by Friedrich Karolinger. If Edict 13.4 passes, Count Karolinger will decide whether to take the army against Thessalonica. If he decides not to go, HA Otto will move to northern Italy, since Naples and Palermo have not been allocated to our House. If the Kaiser wishes these territories to be defended, he had better raise an army for them himself. Of course, Bavaria will be happy to take up that duty if they were to be allocated to those who fought so hard to take them...

Fredericus Erlach will go with whatever army is most likely to see battle first.
    Last edited by TinCow; 09-24-2007 at 20:52.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Vienna

Mayor's Palace
    Cathedral

Venice

Cathedral
    Inn

Ragusa

Earl's Stables
    King's Stables

Bran

Royal Arsenal
    Heavy Armourer

tax levels to prevent rioting.

Austrian Household Army Orders:

2nd AHA currently based in Budapest is to be commanded by myself and will first assist Duke Ansehelm in taking Krakow and cleaning the area of Polish forces. Lorenz Zirn should join on me as soon as possible.

Once up to strength the 1st AHA under Becker should march on Bucharest.

While Becker focuses on that target I will follow with the 2nd AHA, reinforce in Bran and leapfrog him and approach Sofia. Artillery pieces from Bran should make up some part of both Armies before attacking either target.

Please note final orders to attack both targets will be given at a later time depending on the situation.

There is a small Hungarian army in the Austrian interior that must be dealt with also.

As the situation develops further requests maybe made at the pleasure of the Chancellor.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 09-24-2007 at 11:49.

Building Queues for Franconia

Thorn:
    Ballista Towers
    Gun Smith

Hamburg:
    Cathedral
    Warehouse

Magdeburg:
    continue Gunsmith
    Cannon Maker
    Cannon Foundry

Frankfurt:
    continue Mayors Palace
    Militia Drill Square
    Militia Barracks

Vilnius:
    The following buildings are to be erased from the earth:
    Practise Range
    Knight's Stables
    Drill Square
    Leather Tanner
    Ballista Maker
    After that Vilnius will be abandoned.

All taxes are to be set at Normal

House Army Orders:
    The Prussian (Eastern) House Army is to defend Thorn and later Krakow, would enemy units infiltrate the Reich it also has to defend Breslau and Stettin.
    The Saxonian (Western) House Army is to defend Hamburg, Frankfurt and Magdeburg. And later on it should attack Antwerp, but not untill further orders (not before the Duke himself arrives).
    The Teutonic Crusade Army is to take with it all units currently and march to the 2nd bridge over the Vistula when counting from Thorn. From there it will march South and approach Krakow from behind.
    After this the main part of the Teutonic is either to be disbanded or it taken into the ranks of the 2nd AHA. The three regiments of Teutonic Knights however will remain with Duke Ansehelm and they will march toward Frankfurt.

Appointments:
    Breslau: Peter von Kastillien
    Stettin: Fritz von Kastillien
    Thorn: City ruled by the court of Franconia
    Frankfurt: City ruled by the court of Franconia
    Magdeburg: Not appointed
    Hamburg: Not appointed

1st (Saxonian) Household Army: Fritz von Kastillien, when Duke Ansehelm and Tancred from Tyrolia arrive they take over command.
    2nd (Prussian) Household Army: Peter von Kastillien.

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Build Queue:

Antioch:

Huge Cathedral
    Shipwright
    Dockyard

AoO Army Orders:

The formation currently led by King Jan around Aleppo is AoO North.
    The formation currently led by Count Dieter around Damascus is AoO South.

These commanders are hereby "locked in" for the whole term unless I say otherwise. AoO North is commanded by myself. AoO South is commanded by Count Dieter.

The AoO's are tasked with upholding the Charter of Outremer first and foremost. Other tasks are only to be completed if Outremer and Jerusalem are safe and the King agrees.

That means defensive operations around Outremer territories and Jerusalem. AoO North will patrol Adana and Edessa. AoO South will patrol Edessa and Damascus. These patrol territories can be changed as the situation dictates. Cross border raids are authorized but only if it does not endanger Outremer or Jerusalem.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Build queue for Prague:

1. Great Market
    2. Cathedral

Tax level set to low.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

Build Que for Ajaccio:

1. Next level of Archey Range
    2. Next level of Cavlery Recruitment center.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Summary of Battles fought in the Reign of Steward/Chancellor Elberhard, 1300-

Battle codes:
    First letter: F=field battle; S=siege battle; Y=sally battle; B=bridge or ford battle
    Second letter: A = attack; D=defence
    Third letter: -A = autoresolve
    Last edited by econ21; 10-14-2007 at 23:30.

Steward’s Report for 1300

My Lords,

The Kaiser has arrived in Constantinople and has sent us back a preliminary report on his negotiations:

Quote Originally Posted by Ituralde
    Nobles, Electors, fellow Romans!

The negotiations with our Byzantine Allies are progressing nicely. The Eastern Roman Empire is inclined to accept that Emperor Siegfried and Emperor Isaac will rule the whole domain as one entity.

I know of your fears of Byzantine corruption of our traditions. I will not let this happen. Our military aid in the past has shown that we have always been the stronger of our two Empires. Any cooperation between our dynasties should reflect this and I am pushing hard towards this end.

As a sign of goodwill towards our allies I have decided that the counties of Naples and Palermo are gifted to the Eastern Roman Empire. This should ensure the eventual success of our negotiations.

Emperor Siegfried
    The gifting of Naples and Palermo to the Byzantines has raised our standing with our Eastern Roman brothers to outstanding.

It also appears we left Palermo not a moment too soon - the Sicilians have landed an army on their old homeland and a Byzantine army has moved to confront them.

Elsewhere, there has been little of great moment to report - no battles of any significance and a mere 34 Germans lost in minor engagements.

In Swabia, Count Hummel has arrived to take command of the First Household Army at Caen. Dietrich von Dassel has joined him as second in command. On arrival, Dietrich immediately demanded a poll of all Caen citizens to see if he could be elected army commander instead of Count Hummel… only kidding. Count von Salza is taking the Second Household Army back to Staufen for a refit. The French have besieged Paris, but have only a token force that the garrison can easily drive off.

In Bavaria, Household Army Otto under Count Karolinger has embarked for Thessalonica. Household Army Gerhard under Duke Lothar is pursuing some rebels east of Marseilles, with Fredericus Erlach in accompaniment. Duke Hans is moving to take command of the Kaiser’s Army, heading east to support our drive to link up our territory with that of our brothers in Constantinople.

In Austria, Household Army 1 under Count Becker in Bran has recruited a cannon and a grand bombard, and retrained a regiment of Gothic knights. Household Army 2 under Duke Arnold is on the outskirts of Krakow.

In Franconia, the Saxon Household Army under Count Fritz von Kastilien is marching on Hamburg in anticipation of a Danish advance on the great port city. The Teutonic crusade under Duke Ansehelm has abandoned Vilnius after raising all military buildings to the ground and is heading west. The garrison at Thorn repelled a small force of Polish besiegers but are now besieged by a Russian Army. I am concerned by this development, as I have lost contact with the Prussian Household Army under Count Peter von Kastilien.

In Outremer, my army shot down three regiments of Tabardariyya. The Army of Outremer North under King Jan is approaching Edessa to meet the oncoming Turks. The Army of Outremer South under Count Bresch is following, currently between Damascus and Aleppo. No doubt encouraged by our firm alliance, the Byzantines are showing signs of a renaissance. With large forces massed around Caesarea, they wrenched the settlement from the grip of the Turks, relieving the pressure on Adana.

Lack of funds have prevented me from authorising all build queues, although a huge Cathedral has been commissioned in Antioch and several other governors’ wishes been honoured. The Assassins Guild asked me for permission to build a Masters Guild at Stettin. I told them to go @#$%^&!!! themselves.

I have allocated some funds to create a large fleet near Genoa - with most of our ships in the Mediterranean ferrying Household Army Otto east, Bavaria is potentially cut off from Ajaccio. This could be trouble, if the Sicilians come looking for us, after just missing us on Palermo. With the newly commissioned ships, Household Army Gerhard will retain the capacity to cross the sea to Ajaccio. I was inclined to strengthen our Baltic fleet. However, the Russians so outmatch our navy there, the cost would be prohibitive relative to any gain.

I feel this year has been but a preparation for more momentous events to come, but if things stay this quiet, I will be happy.

Steward Elberhard

Steward’s Report for 1302

My Lords,

We have heard no news on the progress of the Kaiser's negotiations this turn. I infer that they are more difficult than we anticipated. However, the Kaiser's quest will no doubt have been eased by the announcement of religious re-unification, with the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches agreeing to merge into one single Church. Needless to say, this momentous news was greeted with a lot of cheering and rejoicing in the Diet, you miserable @#$%^&!!!ers.

I will briefly run down on other events:

Swabia: Our armies are engaged in a desperate duel of parry and strike with the French. Although Paris was besieged by only a handful of regiments, they were too powerful for the militia garrison to be able to sally against with any degree of success. Moreover, the siege was but a ruse to trap SHA1. Two powerful French armies were hidden together in the woods just outside Paris, ready to ambush an unwary SHA1 rushing to relieve Paris from Calais. Fortunately, our spies detected the trap. However, the two would-be ambushers still blocked the road for SHA1 and combined were too powerful to tackle head on. Paris, therefore, could expect no relief from SHA1.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Yikes!!!! Clever computer - that’s one hell of an ambush.

To break the siege of Paris, Count Friedrich Scherer returned from his planned retirement and brought with him the Rheims garrison. He acquired a notorious berserker in his retinue after that victory. Possibly not the best sort to accompany you into retirement, but who am I to say? After that victory, SHA1 could enter the great city to protect Count Scherer’s militia force against interference from the powerful French forces lurking nearby.

The situation in northern France is too tense to justify returning SHA2 to Staufen for a refit. Consequently, Count von Salza detached only his most depleted regiments to the House capital, and turned about to take the place of the Rheims garrison. I hope the next year will give our Swabian armies an opportunity to strike more decisively.

Franconia: I am still vexed by the disappearance of the Prussian Household Army. The garrison at Prague reported losing several garrisons as a large German army passed by, heading south. Fortunately, the Russians did not press the siege of Thorn and Duke Ansehelm should be able to relieve it this year. I can only assume this is our lost Household Army. I have called on Duke Ansehelm to get a grip on his House, but his stance in the Diet vacillates between denial and endorsement of this apparent rebellion. My brother Hans has agreed to lead the Kaiser's army to intercept the wayward Franconian Household Army. We cannot have unauthorised armies marching across the Reich. If the Prussian Army's movements are in fact authorised, by its Duke, I am sure the entire Diet would be interested to learn of that.

Austria: the diversion of the Teutonic crusade to Thorn leaves AHA2 alone near Krakow facing three strong Polish armies. Duke Arnold's army advanced only a small distance this turn, opting to wait for young Lorenz Zirn and to replace the militia in his army with professionals. AHA1 has reached Budapest, but was not able to invest the settlement just yet.

Bavaria: Household Army Gerhard caught a band of rebels east of Marseilles. Fredericus Erlach had the honours. Household Army Otto headed towards Durazzo, although it has been decided that landing there would merely add time to the journey to Thessalonica and instead they will take the sea route around Greece.

Outremer: The Prinz’s army defeated the most formidable Egyptian army we have yet encountered. Army of Outremer North under King Jan showed that the troublesome Turks are no match for the army that slew the Horse Lords. Karl Zirn has arrived at Acre to make preparations to return to Austria.

At the year’s end, the enemy has reacted to some of our movements. A French army has moved to besige Caen, left lightly defended when SHA1 moved to Paris. I believe we will need both SHA1 and SHA2 in the area, if we are to make progress against Bruges. The stronger of the two French would-be ambush armies has broken the English siege of Bruges. The weaker one should be easy meat for SHA1.

My brother has adopted a young Swabian, Ehrhart Ruppel, into his family. I must say he seems a most promising fellow and his loyalty will make him a scarce commodity in this Diet.

OOC: Since Swabia already has a spare avatar, I was going to turn down this adoption. But his stats/traits were just too nice.

Steward Elberhard

Steward’s report for 1304

My Lords,

The Kaiser sends news on the final outcome of his negotiations over re-unification with our Eastern Roman brothers:

Quote Originally Posted by Ituralde
    Nobles, Electors, fellow Romans!

It is with much regret that I write you. The negotiations have gone on for far too long. A shimmer of hope has been seen on the horizon, but it was quickly crushed by the outrageous demands of our Allies.

The Byzantines are willing to accept that the Holy Roman Empire shall be ruled by Emperor Siegfried as Augustus, while Emperor Isaac will administer the Eastern part of the Empire as Caesar. The heir to this combined Empire will be the first born son of Emperor Siegfried and Empress Theodora. He will rule the Western and Eastern Roman Empire as sole Emperor.

In return the Byzantines ask that the current counties of the Reich be divided between East and West coherently. This means that all regions within Outremer will fall to Caesar Isaac until both Empires are reunited under the first born son of Emperor Siegfried.

After long and hard deliberations I have decided to agree to their request. While it pains me to give away such a large part of our Empire it will seal the reunion of the Roman Empire and re-establish our rightful place as ruler not only of all Romans but of all Christians as well.

I will leave for Rome as soon as possible to face the consequences of my decision in front of the Diet. I can only hope that you are able to see beyond the immediate loss, the shimmer of a new age dawning on the horizon.

Emperor Siegfried
    Just as the Kaiser sets out to return from Constantinople to Rome, the traitor Peter von Kastilien is marching to attack that great city. Although I have tasked the Kaiser’s Army under Duke Hans to catch the traitors, it is clear that he will not intercept them before they reach the Bosphorous. I hope that the Kaiser will be able to find a route that avoids the traitor’s reach. Duke Arnold has authorised Count Becker’s AHA1 to divert from Bucharest to assist Duke Hans in intercepting the traitors before they kill our Kaiser or start a war with our greatest allies.

Meanwhile, in our cities, the poisonous teachings of Alexander Luther have been causing riots in several settlements throughout the Reich - specifically, Genoa and Damascus. As reported to the Diet, we have lost the great cathedral in Damascus, the Genoa cathedral, a church in Stettin and a chapel in Acre. These outrages have made our relations with the Papacy abysmal and the Holy Father will not suffer the name of the Reich to be mentioned in his presence. May God have mercy on the rioters’ souls for committing these sacrilegious acts.

The rest of the year’s events can be summarised as follows:

Swabia: SHA1 under Count Hummel cleared the French from around Paris, allowing a relief force be sent to assist the besieged citadel of Caen, should it be assaulted. France has been excommunicated, giving us a freer hand.

Austria: AHA2 under Duke Arnold has seized Krakow after an exhausting struggle. AHA1 under Count Becker has taken Bucharest. However, the Pope has ordered us to cease hostilities against the Poles and the Hungarians on pain of excommunication.

Bavaria: Household Army Gerhard is approaching rebels west of Milan. Household Army Otto is still travelling by sea to Durazzo.

Franconia: Duke Ansehelm has arrived at Thorn with the ex-Teutonic Crusade, frightening away the Russian besiegers. The Saxon army under Count Fritz von Kastilien has routed a Danish army.

Steward Elberhard
    Last edited by econ21; 10-02-2007 at 19:28.

Steward’s report for 1306

My Lords,

The Reich is holding its breath for the return of the Kaiser to speak to the Diet about his plans to gift Outremer to the Byzantine Empire and seal re-unification. Thanks to the loyal and dutiful House of Austria, the traitor Peter’s army looks sure to be intercepted near Sofia by the AHA1 lead by Count Becker. Duke Hans is racing with his knights to provide support. While the prospect of Germans spilling German blood is terrible, it looks like we will be able to avoid wider fratricide and an unauthorised war with our Eastern Roman brothers. The heretics led by Alexander Luther have laid low this turn, although rebellious crusaders did burn down the chapel in Aleppo.

The rest of the year’s events can be summarised as follows:

Swabia: SHA1 under Count Hummel broke a French siege of Paris, besieged Bruges and occupied it after repelling a relief army. Unfortunately, the Count is now afflicted by a terrible plague. It has not yet infected his army nor the citizens of Bruges. The ex-Duke of Swabia, Friedrich Scherer, died heroically relieving Caen. SHA2 under Count von Salza has taken a position north of Paris where he can cover Caen, Paris and Rheims.

Austria: AHA2 under Duke Arnold drove off an attempted siege of Krakow by the Poles. The departure of AHA1 under Count Becker has left Bucharest at risk of revolt.

Bavaria: Household Army Gerhard has eliminated a rebel band west of Milan. Household Army Otto is approaching Thessalonica by sea.

Franconia: Duke Ansehelm has destroyed the Russian army that besieged Thorn. The Poles now besiege Thorn. We will not attack, as that will bring excommunication. However, the Duke’s army is standing by to assist the garrison in the event that the Poles launch an assault. The Saxon army remains near Stettin.

Outremer: Army of Outremer North, under King Jan, is returning to Aleppo to refit. Army of Outremer South, under Count Bresch is restoring order in Damascus. I have marched the Prinz’s army out of Acre, but my aides report the citadel is uneasy and I fear my departure has been premature. Not for the first time, it seems I have over-estimated the degree of support I have behind me.

We now await the Kaiser Siegfried’s imminent return, which comes not a moment too soon.

Steward Elberhard
    Last edited by econ21; 10-02-2007 at 19:28.

Chancellor’s report on 1308

Kaiser Siegfried was slain within the boundaries of the Reich by a band of mercenaries. An official investigation by Duke Hans apprehended the killers and traced the money to unknown Bavarians. While the death of Siegfried fills me with grief, what is worse is knowing that the assassination was done by Germans.

Siegfried’s death has elevated me to the position of Kaiser. I have not yet named a Prinz. Out of loyalty to the Siegfried’s name, I have promised his widow Theodora that we will continue to reign together as we did while the late Kaiser was in Constantinople. Our reign will continue until Siegfried’s term would have ended in 1320, at which point we will present a Charter Amendment for unification with our Eastern Roman brothers to the Diet. To continue the process of unification, I will implement the gifting of Outremer that Kaiser Siegfried promised Emperor Isaac.

In response to Siegfried’s assassination, there has been civil unrest throughout the Reich. Supporters of the Kaiser Siegfried and re-unification have protested, sometimes violently. Supporters of Alexander Luther and opponents of re-unification have organised counter-demonstrations that at times have the air of public celebrations. The two sides have frequently clashed, leading to much loss of life and destruction of property. As the year ends, there have been riots in Paris, Budapest, Damascus, Bruges, Antioch, Edessa, Rheims, Stettin, Prague, Venice, Hamburg, Vienna and Dijon. Governors are appealing for calm in their own inimitable styles.

In one of the few pieces of good news this year, the rebel army of the Peter von Kastilien was intercepted by Count Becker’s AHA1. Peter surrendered rather than give battle and, for his avoiding the shedding of German blood, I will exercise leniency in his punishment. However, I cannot release him at the moment while the situation is so tense. His army - previously the Prussian Household Army - has been disbanded, with elements used to reinforce AHA1 and the former Kaiser’s Army under Duke Hans. The former Teutonic crusade army under Duke Ansehelm will henceforth be regarded as the Prussian Household Army.

Austria: Unfortunately, the diversion of AHA1 forced us to abandon Bucharest, which promptly revolted. This leaves AHA1 in a difficult position. The Papal injunction not to attack Hungary means AHA1 cannot proceed west past Sofia. The only way to Austria is back the way it came - via Bucharest, which must be retaken again if AHA1 is to cross the Danube. The resignation of Count Becker as AHA1's commander has only added to its troubles.

As one rebel army is dispersed, another is uncovered. Duke Hans has learned that a large unauthorised force is being trained in Ragusa, where Dietrich von Dassel harbours the heretic Alexander Luther. My brother has been ordered to take the former Kaiser’s army - now relabelled the Prinz’s Army - to restore order.

Franconia: Duke Ansehelm broke a Polish siege of Thorn. However, the Pope’s injunction not to attack the Poles prevents us clearing the area between Thorn and Krakow. So far, AHA1 has been securing Krakow but Duke Arnold has indicated that this cannot continue much longer. I believe that the best strategy may be to leave Thorn with a strong garrison and move the Prussian Army to Krakow. The Saxon Household Army remains at Stettin so as to cover both Hamburg and the interior of Franconia.

Swabia: Count Hummel with SHA1 has routed the remnants of French forces in Flanders. Unfortunately, he was brutally scarred in the combat, only adding to the suffering of the plague that afflicts him. Count Athalwolf stands guard with SHA2 near Paris, although the man has become awfully uncommunicative of late.

Bavaria: Fredericus Erlach and Household Army Gerhard approached Marseilles, but at the end of the year the French lifted the siege. Friedrich Karolinger and Household Army Otto will make landfall at Thessalonica next year.

Outremer: The former Prinz’s Army has finished refitting. Army of Outremer North approaches Aleppo to refit. Army of Outremer South stands guard over rebellious Damascus. I plan to gift Adana, Antioch, Edessa and Damascus next turn although Count Matthias Steffen is promising to defy my orders for Adana.

I hope my next report marks a return to order and normalcy within the borders of the Reich after this disastrous year.

Elberhard

Chancellor’s Report on 1310

Another dark year: riots continue in Stettin, Prague, Zagreb, Paris, Marseilles and Venice[1]. Half of all militia regiments have deserted or refused to report for duty. I fear this desertion will now start spreading to regular units.

This unrest is partly the aftermath of the late Kaiser's assassination, with neither Duke Hans' nor Duke Lothar's investigations settling the matter. Added to this, there is now widespread resentment towards my gifting of Outremer and my ruling jointly with the widow Theodora. Some even criticise my speech and sense of humour as unseemly - the stupid @#$%^&!!!ers!

Quite frankly, the Reich is falling apart. Outremer is gone or going - Adana, Antioch, Damascus and Edessa have already been gifted. The crusader counts have all gone, leaving only King Jan and I to blow out the torches. Bavaria is the home of the men who ordered Kaiser Siegfried to be killed. Franconia hails the imprisoned rebel Peter von Kastilien as a hero. Swabia’s leadership is hampered by plague and my need for its Duke, my dear brother, to act as enforcer for the Reich. But my greatest concern lies in Austria. For there, in Ragusa, Dietrich von Dassel has used his position to provide sanctuary to the heretical monk Alexander Luther and together they are raising a large army. Duke Hans is racing to take contain the situation with the Prinz's army, pending the arrival of Duke Arnold.

Army movements this year:
    Swabia: SHA1 positioned itself between Caen, Bruges and Paris. SHA2 moved to restore order in Paris.
    Fraconia: PHA remained near Thorn; SHA moved to restore order in Hamburg.
    Outremer: AOS drove back an Egyptian army from Damascus, which my army destroyed. AON refitted in Aleppo.
    Austria: AHA1 returned to besiege Bucharest. Fortunately, Hungary has been excommunicated - increasing our freedom of maneouvre. AHA2 began to march from Krakow to besieged Budapest. The former Kaiser’s army under Duke Hans began to march on Ragusa.
    Bavaria: HAG defeated a small French force. HAO began the siege of Thessalonica.

Elberhard

[1] OOC: For a spoiler on how the poll about city calming affected the game, click below.

Player's instructions on how to deal with riots were used to see if cities were brought under control (i.e. had taxes lowered from VH). The poll options corresponded to character stats: loyalty, dread, piety and chivalry. I rolled a dice: a roll of four or more allowed the city to be calmed. Each dice was modified according to the governor’s stat corresponding to the poll option a player picked: +1 if the stat was 1-5; +2 if it was 6+. For example, a high dread character who chose to threaten draconian punishments would only need a “1” to calm his settlement.
    Last edited by econ21; 10-03-2007 at 23:38.

Chancellor’s Report on 1312

My God, we are undone! There are reliable reports that Tancred von Tyrolia has landed at Constantinople with the Vilnius garrison and a motley collection of brigands and pirates. Using stealth and deception, Tancred got past the walls and sacked the city! As our Eastern Roman brothers had considered their west flank secure, the city was not defended by any regular forces and fell easily. Apparently in a tribute to Peter von Kastilien, Tancred has renamed Constantinople the "Wahrheitburg" or the Shield of Truth. I doubt the name will stick, however, as the Eastern Romans will presumably be rushing men to retake their capital.

I am sending assurances to Emperor Isaac that Tancred’s outrageous act was not sanctioned by us and that we are not at war with our Eastern Roman brothers. However, I am not sure what weight this will carry, with some in this Diet applauding Peter’s earlier march on Constantinople and the Lutherans continuing to attack pro-unification churches. Needless to say, our alliance is now in ruins and all Byzantine forces will presumably regard our armies as hostile. No general is authorised to instigate hostilities against our Eastern Roman brothers, but if the worst comes to the worst, they are of course authorised to defend themselves.

Almost as terrible, I have heard reports that Dietrich von Dassel and his army of Lutherans have departed their Ragusa in the direction of Durazzo. Duke Hans will be unable to intercept them before they reach the Papacy. What madness is this?

The Reich is collapsing - our cities are falling into chaos, as Lutherans battle those in support of unification for control of key buildings. Imperial authority is at an all time low, as men desert their posts and local nobles step into the power vacuum. Rome is in chaos. The Empress Dowager Theodora is in hiding from the mob and the Imperial administration is in disarray, with civil servants either refusing to obey her orders or simply walking out to return to protect their homes.

The centre of authority in the Reich has effectively switched to Acre, where the Army of Outremer South maintains order. Needless to say, my plans to gift the Citadel to Byzantium next year must be put on hold. But regrettably, Aleppo has already been transferred. Advancing on Adana to investigate the disappearance of Matthias Steffen, King Jan and the Army of Outremer North are now in a precarious position, deep inside hostile territory.

I fear we will see succession and rebellions across the Reich before the next year is in. This year, roughly one third of our militia deserted. As I feared, desertion is spreading to our regular forces: roughly one sixth of them have simply slipped away, either heading home to protect their families or seeking richer pickings as bandits. Even my own Kaiser’s army has suffered - Captain Jan informed me that my Teutons would no longer serve now that Outremer has been gifted away. Similarly, half of my brother’s cavalry has deserted - refusing to contemplate battling brother Germans, even though there enemy be heretical Lutherans. All settlements are training men to try to make good these losses, but the Treasury is exhausted by this recruitment and we have been unable to begin any new construction.

Army movements this year:
    Swabia: SHA1 has crushed a large French army, then moved towards Caen to receive reinforcements. SHA2 struggles to maintain order in Paris.
    Fraconia: PHA remains near Thorn and SHA in Hamburg.
    Outremer: As stated, AOS is in Acre while AON is en route to Adana.
    Austria: AHA2 is approaching Budapest, where Duke Arnold and his knights have broken a Hungarian siege. AHA2 has retaken rebel held Bucharest. The former Kaiser’s army under King Hans is marching on Ragusa, from where Dietrich von Dassel’s Lutherans have left for Durazzo.
    Bavaria: HAG has defeated another small French force north of Marseilles. HAO has continued to besiege Thessalonica.

I await further news of the fate of Constantinople and the reply of Emperor Isaac to my pleas to preserve our friendship. But suffice it to say, my dear Electors, I fear we are well and truly @#$%^&!!!ed.

Elberhard

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/1312-4.zip

[1] OOC: For a spoiler on how chaos was simulated, click the spoiler

On a roll of 1-3, city taxes were set to very high.
    The capital was moved to Acre.
    On a roll of 1-2, militia units were disbanded.
    On a roll of 1, regular units were disbanded.

Addendum: end of year events

Bucharest was besieged by the Hungarians and Thorn besieged by the Poles.

The Poles were excommunicated.

Marseilles and Stettin revolted.

There were riots in Budapest, Paris, Bucharest, Breslau, Metz, Bruges, Genoa, Bologna, Rome, Milan, Bern, Venice, Florence, Hamburg, Nuremburg and Frankfurt.

Our starting balance for 1314 was -12,871!
    Last edited by econ21; 10-07-2007 at 20:55.

Chancellor’s Report for 1314

This is a year that will live in infamy! Dietrich von Dassel and his army of Lutherans has attacked Durazzo and killed the Pope in battle. The Reich is now excommunicated. In response, the Patriarch of Constantinople has severed the links between his church and the Catholic Church. Moreover, the formerly excommunicated Catholic nations are using the pretext of our excommunication to muster large armies to invade our lands and purge them of Lutheran influence. The Papal capital is now at Jerusalem, but far from welcoming us as protectors, will doubtless initiate hostilities with my army if given the chance.

The one positive development is that Imperial administration is showing signs of revival, with key offices having relocated to Innsbruck. This has helped restore order in some cities and led to a revival of tax collection. We now have a modest surplus of 25,000 florins.

Nonetheless, disorder and indiscipline continues. Desertion continues among the field regiments, although militias provided freely by our cities are now remaining true – perhaps in the realisation that they may be all that stands between the enemy and our women and children. There were riots in Genoa, Hamburg and Dijon.

Detailed reports by zone:
    Swabia: After a period of silence, Count von Salza has declared for his Duke. He has marched SHA2 north out of Paris to engage usurper Count Hummel and his SHA1. Perhaps in reaction against this fratricide, the people of Paris have revolted – as have those in Hummel’s home province of Metz. Perhaps the bitterness of past Hummel’s extermination of Metz still festers in the city? Duke Hans and Ruppel are heading west to Swabia, but will be unable to intervene in the imminent battle for northern France.

Bavaria: HAO remains stalled outside Thessalonica. Its fleet has had to be disbanded. HAG is north of Marseilles, but with the disbandment of its fleet is powerless to assist Ajacco, now under siege by the Sicilians. Duke Lothar has rallied the evicted Marseilles militia.

Franconia: Duke Ansehelm and the PHA have driven another Polish army from Thorn. Fritz von Kastilien has abandoned Hamburg and instead laid siege to rebel Stettin. Peter von Kastilien is heading north to join his brother Fritz, while Dieter Bresch is heading north to take command of SHA.

Austria: Duke Arnold and a much depleted AHA2 are heading to Ragusa. They will rendezvous with the half of Dietrich’s army that chose to return to mother Austria. The other half – mainly fanatical Lutherans - have embarked for Rome. I fear for the safety of the Dowager Empress Theodora. AHA1 under Count Becker is in dire straits – besieged in Bucharest by a large Hungarian army composed mainly of knights. I have urged Karl Zirn to lead the Bran garrison and attempt to relieve Count Becker. If is not relieved or does not sally, he will remain trapped and surely slain.

Outremer: King Jan and the Army of Jerusalem has retaken Aleppo in a lightning move, and also freed Matthias Steffen. The latter has taken command of the Army of Antioch anchored off Adana in the last of our fleets. My Kaiser’s army is garrisoning Acre.

Tancred’s band of pirates and deserters still holds Constantinople. There are not reports of armies approaching from the east, but Byzantine and Hungarian armies seem to be moving in his direction from the west. His fleet has been disbanded, so if he is to leave, it will have to be by foot.

All generals are urged to be alert and to consider carefully their next moves. In action in such a hostile environment could spell disaster for them.

Kaiser Elberhard

http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/kotr1316_try.zip

Some immediate battles for 1316 (copied from OOC thread):

Fritz (Tamur):
    You have besieged Stettin using its expelled garrison and your cavalry. Now bring up the Saxon Household Army and the Hamburg garrison to crush them in a show of force.

Ansehelm (Stig)
    The Poles are besieging Thorn... again.

Friedrich Karolinger (Warmaster Horus)
    The walls of Thessalonica are still beckon.

In addition, we have a player vs player battle:
    Hummel (Ignoramus) vs Von Salza (Warluster)

Ignoramus and Warluster - why don't you have a trial MP battle using whatever forces you like? If it works, we can set up a battle where your forces roughly correspond to what you have on the campaign map. If it does not work, we will set up a "tabletop" style encounter. Thinking about it, it might be best in three stages: deployment; plan of attack; mid-battle revisions.

Becker (Cecil) and Zirn (Northnovas) at Bucharest.

The Hungarians are maintaining the seige of AHA1 within Bucharest. You have two options:
    (1) Have Count Becker sally - hoping your cannons and walls will allow you to overcome a superior, but perhaps passive opponent.
    (2) Bring up the Bran garrison and have Karl Zirn attempt to relieve Bucharest. Your forces would be divided, with the main component (AHA1) entering as reinforcements. The odds would be 2:3 against you, but better than if Becker sallies.

Chancellor's Report for 1316

Electors, I bear terrible news - the First Austrian Household Army has been destroyed in a Hungarian assault on Bucharest. The Hungarians had many knights and used multiple rams to open up the city to their horsemen. Count Becker's men fought bravely, but simply lacked the numbers to repel the assault. Karl Zirn and the Bran garrison were too late to provide reinforcements. As there was no possibility of retreat, we must assume Count Becker lies dead, along with his entire army. I mourn the loss of a brave man.

Despite all our efforts at diplomacy and reconciliation, it appears that the conflict with Byzantium is escalating into full scale war. The continued occupation of Constantinople by the pirate Tancred is no doubt one factor in this debacle. However, there can be little doubt as to the intentions of the Eastern Romans. As I write, there are reports coming in of a major battle north of Antioch between our men and the Byzantines. The Empress Dowager Theodora has revealed her true loyalties and abused the trust I placed in her out of respect to her late husband. She has fled from Rome with the Imperial Treasury - a sum of over 20,000 florins. Consequently, I have been unable to authorise any significant building, repairs or recruitment this year.

Lack of funds has meant desertion has continued to afflict our regiments, especially the militia. The former garrisons of Rheims, Paris and Marseilles have effectively ceased to exist. My poor brother Hans has been particularly afflicted - all his veteran cavalry have abandoned his cause, refusing to be sucked into a fratricidal Swabian civil war. Bavarian Household Army Otto has suffered the most, however, with virtually half its number melting away as it undertakes the long march back from Thessalonica. It appears that many soldiers were motivated only by the promise of gold from sacking the city and have now abandoned the army.

There now follow brief reports by region:

Swabia: Dijon has revolted. We await news of the first and hopefully only battle in the Swabian Civil War. Count von Salza's Swabian Defence Force is attacking the usurper Hummel's "Army of the Prinz". The forces are well matched, although praise be to God, the loyalists have a slight numerical edge.

Bavaria: the valiant garrison of Ajaccio has beaten off a Sicilian assault and is no longer under siege! Bavarian Household Army Gerhard is approaching the bridge over the river Po north of Genoa. The Pope-killer Dietrich von Dassel is sailing for Rome, but his landing has been posted by the sight of two large Byzantine armies marching north up the eastern Italian coast.

Franconia: Fritz and Peter von Kastilien have used the florins acquired from sacking Stetting to recruit more men, including many regiments of mercenaries. The Saxon Household Army now gathering near Magdeberg is the largest military formation in the Reich. Duke Ansehelm's Prussian Household Army has seen off another Polish siege of Thorn.

Austria: With the loss of AHA1, our eastern front is now open. There are reports of the pirate Tancred marching north from Constantinople to assist Count Becker, but like Count Zirn, he clearly arrived too late. Duke Arnold is moving to Ragusa to join AHA2 with those left to their fate when Dietrich von Dassel fled Durazzo by sea. Needless to say, attrition amonst those abandoned Lutherans has been high. Lorenz Zirn is heading to his home county of Budapest.

Outremer: Matthias Steffen has landed the Army of Antioch and is defending a bridge north of the titular city. King Jan is blocking the ford east of Antioch and my army is marching north to seal the city from the south. We aim to isolate and retake the capital of Outremer, leaving us with a defensible triangle of Antioch, Aleppo and Acre. The Byzantines seem alert to this plan and there are reports that Matthias is under attack by a large army, comprised in large part of mercenary Muslim heavy cavalry. He is in my prayers.

And so, Electors, while we mourn the defeat at Bucharest and the death of brave Count Becker, we must also wait for the result of two critical battles at opposite ends of the Reich. To the east, Matthias Steffen battles our erstwhile brothers, the Eastern Romans. To the west, Athalwolf von Salza confronts the would-be "Prinz of Swabia". The Reich has gone mad and, like Saturn, devours its own children.

Elberhard
    Last edited by econ21; 10-11-2007 at 01:11.

Chancellor’s Report for 1318

Rome has fallen. As we took their capital, so the Byzantines take ours in retaliation. But what they have done is far worse than what Tancred’s pirates inflicted on them. They have put our capital to the sword. The only survivors are the few fortunate enough to escape or who the enemy were too tired to slaughter. The city is a ruined husk.

In this situation, I am declaring a State of Emergency. We will not waste time with @#$%^&!!!ing elections, edicts or charter amendments. We have time for only one thing - to fight! I put down my Chancellor’s robes, but I will hand them on to no one else until Rome is back in our hands. Nor will the Diet reconvene.

I tell you simply to fight. Fight to protect those under your charge. Fight to defend the Reich. Fight to expel the invaders. I do not tell you to obey your Dukes, for they have failed you as I have failed you. However, I do tell you to obey your consciences. Any German who chooses to fight other Germans rather than the foreign armies pouring over our frontiers will not be forgiven when this cataclysm is over.

My report for 1318 is as follows:

Swabia: The usurper “Prinz” of Swabia and Count von Salza fought an inconclusive encounter and then withdrew back to their lines of communication (Caen and Staufen respectively). Duke Hans has now arrived at Staufen. The French have taken advantage of our disarray to besiege rebel Paris.

Bavaria: The Pope-killer and adopted Bavarian, Dietrich von Dassel, relieved the besieged city of Bologna from the Byzantines. However, it was all in vain, as the city revolted against the heresies of Luther and then the expelled garrison was destroyed by a second Byzantine army. Dietrich provided some reinforcements, but was unable to sway the battle. Duke Lothar is advancing on Florence with the BHAG and Fredericus Erlach has taken command of Ajaccio after its surprise defeat of a Sicilian assault. The one glimmer of hope is that the Papacy has called for a crusade on Tunis, which may distract our enemies from their intent to devour our weakened Empire.

Austria: Karl Zirn and Friedrich Karolinger with the BHAO have been making their way from Sofia towards Budapest, but have been harried by Hungarians. The pirate Tancred is also heading west from Constantinople, although whether he will evade destruction by the Hungarians is unclear. Budapest itself has rebelled and expelled Karl Zirn’s garrison. Duke Arnold and what is left of AHA2 have reached Ragusa and been reunited with the survivors of the cursed assault on Durazzo. Reports are reaching us that a Venetian fleet has transported most of the Papal forces in Durazzo over to Jerusalem. Taking their place, two large Venetian armies have landed near the former Papal capital.

Franconia: Duke Ansehelm has seen off another Polish attempt to take Thorn. However, a Russian army has now arrived to besiege the citadel while a large Polish force besieges Krakow. There are reports of other large Polish and Russian armies approaching. I fear Thorn may soon have to be abandoned. Fritz and Peter von Kastilien have divided the Saxon Household Army. The larger part, under Peter, has secured Hamburg while the remainder, under Fritz, is at Magdeberg. Dieter Bresch has arrived at Magdeberg to assume control of the SHA but the outcome of this is as yet unclear. Command of SHA now seems as complex and fraught as the Franconian succession..

Outremer: Matthias Steffen held the bridge north of Antioch against a Byzantine attack, while King Jan secured the western ford. With the garrison isolated, Antioch fell easily to a night time attack by my army. Unfortunately, my presence up north has exposed Acre and it is now under siege by Papal forces. Young Dieter von Kassel has come of age in Acre and in my absence is rallying the beleaguered garrison. Older Electors will remember Dieter is of an unfortunate lineage - his father having betrayed the Reich for the sake of a few rubbles. However, we must judge the man and not the father, and in my book young Dieter has got off to a most promising start.

And so, Electors, my time as Chancellor ends. I hope to see you all again in better times. But if it is not to be, let us sell our lives dearly, so that when we do next meet again, we will stand together in God’s kingdom as men who fought hard and did their duty.

For God and the Reich!

Elberhard

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

A List of Battles during the Cataclysm Events of 1320 AD to 1340 AD

FA=field battle (attacker)
    FD=field battle (defender)
    SA=siege assault (attacker)
    SD=siege assault (defender)
    YA=sally (attacker)
    YD=sally (defender)
    AA=ambush (attacker)
    AD=ambush (defender)
    PvP='tabletop' style PvP battle (victor's initials in result field)
    MP=online multiplayer PvP battle (victor's initials in result field)

d=defeat, type unknown
    cd=close defeat
    v=victory, type unknown
    lv=close victory
    cv=clear victory
    hv=heroic victory
    Last edited by TinCow; 12-17-2007 at 15:32.

A scribe enters a dusty room in the palace at Nuremburg. He goes to a grand mahongany desk and begins to polish it. When he has finished, he carefully places a plaque labelled "CHANCELLOR" on the desk.

Feudal Levies for 1340

Notes for 1340

If anyone would like different units to be in their levies, they can PM me but I would prefer to keep things as they are. I will not use the console to spawn units at this Diet (except peasants).

Players who are not lords of settlements do not have feudal levies - sorry! I have made two exceptions. Lothar is regarded as Lord of Nuremburg, as the loan to the Kaiser is only temporary. Fritz can keep some of his mercenaries on the assumption that he has squirrelled away some wealth BUT he will lose them at the next Diet unless he becomes lord of a province.

Each player's feudal levies are the topmost units in their stack in the following save:
    http://www.totalwar.org/patrons/pbm/kotr1340-1b.zip

Levies cannot be upgraded at this Diet, but can be at the next one.

In allocating levies, I generally chose the best "feudal" type units in the stack. These means that veterans of the cataclysm will have better levies than new Counts who will start with 4 peasants (plus some scope for upgrades). This seems fitting although it will limit the upgrade possibilities for most veterans.

Occasionally, I transferred some units between stacks. Some units are very depleted but are high experience/quality and you may be able to persuade the Chancellor to retrain them (at no cost to yourself).

On unit types - sometimes non-knight cavalry were not available, so I have replaced them with armoured spearmen (which can be upgraded to cavalry at the next Diet). I have treated artillery as taking up a knight slot. Deguerra has the biggest deviation from the standard unit types - I thought he might like a pike and gunpowder levy.

General notes on feudal levies in spoiler (taken from post-cataclysm mechanics poll thread):

OOC CA14.7: Each Count or higher will have a feudal levy. These will be allocated by econ21 at each Diet and will consist of four or more units commensurate with the status and service of the player’s avatar. (Typically, a Count would have 1 mounted sergeant, 1 peasant archer or peasant crossbow, 1 sergeant spearmen and EITHER one DFK OR one feudal knight.)

Some illustrative notes on the feudal levy (these are not part of the CA and are subject to change):

At the next Diet, I will allocate feudal levies to players who are lords of a settlement. They will be commensurate with the lord's age and experience. Players will have to look after them for 10 turns (the Chancellor may retrain them) – then at the subsequent Diets, there will be scope to upgrade levies or replace existing ones.

For players who want it, I will implement a points based system. For the others, the levy can be decided informally. I will balance informal allocations to be about equal to what would arise with a points based system.

Administratively, what I will do is that – at the start of each Diet – reorder stacks so that the existing levies are top units in each player’s stack. At the end of each Diet, I will change these levies to reflect any upgrades or replacements. In the interval, players should use the Chancellor and Governors' orders thread to post any instructions about upgrading their levies - either informal requests or choices based on the points system. If players give no instructions, I will use my own judgement and the points system to adjust the levies.

Upgrade paths (costs)

Note: All lords have FOUR units. High lords have one additional knight class units; the Kaiser has two additional knight class units.

Explanatory notes

In order to be eligible for a feudal levy, you must be lord of a settlement.
    Counts and Dukes are lords of the settlements they govern. The Prinz and Kaiser are always lords.

If you cease being a lord, your levy is disbanded at the next Diet. (This represents the loss of the social and economic basis of your levy).

Lords are entitled to four units in a feudal levy. High lords (Dukes, King of Outremer, Prinz) are entitled to five; the Kaiser to six.

When players first become lords, they start off with a feudal levy of four peasants. Every Diet, a lord is given 10 points they may “spend” those points to upgrade their units (high lords are given 13 points; the Kaiser 15). The cost of the upgrade is the difference in the cost of the two units. Armor or weapon upgrades cost one point per upgrade per unit.

Steps on upgrade paths may be skipped if points allow (so a Feudal knight could be upgraded straight to Gothic). But units may only be upgraded to a unit on the same path. (e.g. an archer cannot be upgraded to a knight.)

Units can be retrained at no extra cost: sacrifice will be rewarded.
    But lost units are replaced by peasants - look after your men.

PLEASE POST GENERAL QUERIES/COMMENTS IN OOC THREAD. SPECIFIC REQUESTS BY PM.
    Last edited by econ21; 12-16-2007 at 19:08.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Bern Queue:
    1: Repair Merchant's Bank and start construction of Armourer (same turn)
    2: Start construction of Printing Press
    3: Start construction of Church
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast